Dbro profile image 89

Do you think it's disingenuous to trace images used in drawings and paintings?

Many people posting art instruction type hubs will direct the reader to trace an image to be used in a certain art project or painting. I've always wondered if this wasn't a bit fraudulent. Shouldn't the artist draw the image him/herself? It brings to mind singers who lip-sync. What do you think? Is this a dishonest practice, or is it perfectly ok to do?

Edlira profile image77

Edlira says

• Dbro profile image

Dbro 3 years ago

Interesting observations, Edlira. I think that proficiency in drawing is something anyone can gain from discipline, motivation, and practice. I think would be artists short change themselves by not putting in the effort required to learn the skill.

KrysDwrites profile image85

Krystal Dallis (KrysDwrites) says

• Dbro profile image

Dbro 3 years ago

Great answer! Tracing another person's image and portraying it as your own is quite dishonest and shortchanges the artist who really created it.

Stickypony profile image75

Jonas (Stickypony) says

• Dbro profile image

Dbro 3 years ago

I agree, Stickypony! I really love to see people draw for themselves. Even if the rendering isn't perfect, there is something unique and beautiful in the drawing - something from the essence of the person who drew it. Do you draw? I bet you do!

leroy64 profile image81

Brian L. Powell (leroy64) says

• Dbro profile image

Dbro 3 years ago

Thanks for your input, leroy64. I think this tracing practice may have been done by apprentices in a master's studio, but certainly the original drawing was done by an artist who created the image freehand.

• Dbro profile image

Dbro 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer, duffsmom. I teach drawing, but I haven't ever relied on tracing to instruct my students. Careful observation and lots of practice are the best methods to improve drawing skills in my experience.

Copyright is also a worry!