jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Best Polymer Clay for Value

1. talfonso profile image89
    talfonsoposted 3 years ago

I went to Walmart and bought the "Oven Bake Clay." I was so interested in making stuff with polymer clay thanks to YouTube videos on how to make jewelry and charms.

Let me tell you that the clay STINKS. It's fine for making thick pendants and paperweights, but it's not really that suited for caning. I tinted the clay with alcohol inks and tried to cane with them, but they were all distorted! Well, at least it had some weird, interesting effects!

So, I headed to Joann and bought by accident Premo! Frost Glitter White (I was to buy just Frost, the clearest of translucent clays) and Premo! Pearl. I took them home and started caning, tinting portions of it with small amounts of water-mixable oil paints. With some resting/chilling, the canes worked out well! The beads, rosary centerpieces, and charms I made with Premo! were durable and strong. I was amazed!

While I was at it, I read reviews of the Original Sculpey and found a lot of them negative. They reported brittle pieces after baking (especially the thin pieces) and much more. I was to consider using Sculpey III, but it's also a weak clay.

Well, I decided to put the cruddy Oven Bake Clay (Original Sculpey in Great Value packaging) to other good uses. They became armatures for charms and I veneered them with the Premo! Clays. I made homemade slip with a bit of oil with the Wally World clay and made slip (a viable alternative to liquid clay).

Lesson learned: the 1 lb brick of clay from Walmart is good for paperweights in simple, thick shapes, slips for adhering clay, and armatures for charms. But if I want something durable and worth my salt, I'd head to the craft store and buy Premo! clays.

So what is the best polymer clay for value for you?

2. janesix profile image72
    janesixposted 3 years ago

Don't buy the junk if you want to make things with pc, it just isn't worth it. I can't afford polymer clay anymore, so I don't even bother buying anything at all if I cant afford the good stuff like premo or prosculpt. The cheap stuff isn't even good for practice, because you have to work it in a totally different way.

talfonsoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Right. I now stick to Premo! right now - already bought their Frost (not Frost Glitter White, but Frost, in a 1lb block). Have oil paints and Alcohol inks to color portions to make opals and other faux gems. Thanks for commenting.

3. Amadaun profile image85
    Amadaunposted 3 years ago

It depends on what you're trying to make.  Do you want to make beads?  Thin, flexible pieces?  Larger sculptures?

talfonsoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Mostly the former two - I mostly use it for jewelry and rosaries. I had slices of cane (thin slices) baked. After baking, I dunk them into an ice water bath (it's not just for translucent clay anymore) for durability. The pieces were surprisingly flexible without breakage! That's why I love Premo!

I would have bought Kato Polyclay or Regular Fimo (which are better for caning, but a bit more rigid than Premo!), but I'd chlll my made canes (or parts of it) before slicing.