jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

I want to learn drawing

1. Mezo profile image81
    Mezoposted 3 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I want to start learning drawing. My current abilities are next to zero so any advice would be appreciated. Any websites that might help? lessons, etc?
    I'm particularly interested in caricature and cartoon. Do I have to go through some other "phase" before doing this?

Thank you smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

With your iPad in hand you can type in How to Draw a Horse... and you will find step by step tutorials to chose from. You can stop your iPad at any point of the demonstration and go at your own pace. It is really a great way to learn to draw. All you need are pencils and paper to start.

Without taking drawing classes, I would encourage anyone to teach themselves how to draw.
            Practice drawing flat 2D basic shapes such as squares, triangles, and circles. Try to copy pictures of anything that interests you from books.  Move on to 3D shapes such as spheres, cubes and pyramids, etc. Then go to copying actual objects in space such as eggs, oranges and apples (even rocks) and progress to plants (flowers, trees, etc.) and then to animals, (your own pets or animals at pet stores, zoos and horse stables.) Then move on to people. (A mirror can be used for self-portraits, or you can try to draw the people in your family.) Eventually you might like to try your hand at landscapes, and then structures (houses and buildings.)
           Also, you can paint as well as draw. This is a good idea because it will help you determine the planes where light is hitting and the areas where there is less light.  Drawing actually depends on defining shaded areas and highlighted areas, (where the light is hitting). Even cartoon/anime and animation drawing requires good basic drawing skills. You just need to get going and have a feeling of joy and creativity as you do it. You are experimenting, you are exploring, you are having fun. Don't think, "produce a great drawing." Think " I am experimenting to see what I can do."
           Art stores also have How to Draw books and DVDs.   I also recommend calligraphy practice for developing eye/hand coordination and hand/brain connection. Good Luck:  Handwriting and drawing skills are two things in life you have control over! It is a process of progressive skill building. Never give up.

2. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this
    3. Mezo profile image81
      Mezoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the replies smile. I'm already usning youtube to look for stuff and imitate them. But it felt random to me. Thanks a lot, Kathryn for the great tips. Yes I'm copying stuff and enjoying it! although I have some troubles getting perspective right.
      Thanks a lot smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There are books on that.

4. artsandlearning profile image60
      artsandlearningposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Visit A&L Conservatory and get amazing ideas of drawing as it allows you the freedom to express and communicate your ideas and imagination freely.

2. LaurenGreenleaf profile image61
    LaurenGreenleafposted 3 years ago

It's great that you'd like to start learning this fulfilling craft! I have been an art model for over five years and would recommend that you attend local artist clubs (they are quite prevalent around the country and usually cost less than $10 per session). Practiced artists will be able to give you advice and help you along the way AND you could make some new friends. Then of course there's always going to a local college and asking to audit a beginner class. You'd be surprised how many classes you can take without actually having to be enrolled at the school, with just a bit of persuasion...

Good luck!