The worse it looks the more expensive the price

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Have you ever noticed that with art?

Of course art, or ones appreciation of art, is subjective.

But I know an artist here in Australia who used to do fantastic work. Big BIG oil paintings. The detail was incredible.

I'm not up on the arts terminology but he started going a little more colourful, though still earthy, and much less detail. He started putting prices on it in the tens of thousands, and made more sales than before. More exhibitions. More fame.

I could still appreciate and enjoy his work. But then he got very sloppy.

Now I do love the efforts of pre-schoolers with paint on paper. Big colourful strokes. But if my children had shown me what this artist is doing now I'd be a little concerned with their IQ. The canvases got even bigger (sometimes I think that artistic talent can be easily achieved merely by making a mess on the largest canvas you can get your hands on with a good looking frame of course) the prices steeper and the resulting work similar to binge eating half a dozen tubes of paint and then purging oneself on the canvas.

What are other peoples thoughts about high priced art? Are the public and the average art buyer being wowed by dimensions? Is a ridiculous price tag influencing or justifying opinion? Should art galleries be buying art that is nothing more than three shades of splattered white?

Feel free to link to examples of things you like. And also things you don't like.

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Art has always been about creative expression, but this line has always been blurred by ridiculously simplistic art that is bought up by the so-called art critics and art fascists of the current art trends and fashions, I always remember being at art college and we went on a trip to the art gallery and there was a commission by a local up and coming artist who did sculptured paintings out of papier mache, but they was really childlike and very minimal in design, but he seemed to be doing really well getting other commissions in other towns.

I couldn't see why, but obviously his other speciality of yoghurt pots painted in the colours of the rainbow suspended on chains was also a massive hit and wowed the art masters of the future and present.....

It just goes to show that the world has gone mad and will continue to go down the large potty we have made it into!!

3. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

On a related theme - in most 'old masters' art galleries people look at the pictures. The legend beside the picture is usually not much more than 'title - artist - date' which is fine, because the work speaks for itself. But in many modern art galleries, the public spend most of their time reading the detailed descriptions/explanations of the art works. I take your point about large canvases, but my advice to any new kid on the block is to get a good copywriter onto the case. Nowadays, a word paints a thousand pictures . . .

4. adam valentine profile image61
    adam valentineposted 16 years ago

I appreciate realism. I don't understand abstract art at all. "Ooooooh look at the use of color." "Look at the bold strokes."  What the hell????

People that "know" about art will try to make you feel like a moron if you say you don't like something that looks like a couple of monkeys had a mud wrestling match on a canvas.

I was participating in an art show (beer and music street fair) last year and they had judges going around. The woman next to me won first place for the show. Her "art" was crappy jewelry made out of old typewriter keys. Again I say, what the hell???????????

I try for realism in my work and I just do what I enjoy. If you want to make the big bucks I don't think it even matters if your art is good or bad. It all comes down to marketing. If you can find a way to make a name for yourself you can slap a $10,000 price tag on a pile of crap and have people lining up for it.

If you want to sell art, or anything else, you need to know how to market it.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty much it.

Image and branding.

5. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Great I've got lots of junk in all corners of my house, so best sort out some effective marketing for rusty knick knacks and old coffee jars....hey maybe I could scrape off the rust into the jars and make an artistic view of rustic coffee for a rustic house...the marketing possibilities are quite endless!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)