jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Painting in the future

1. scheinandras profile image60
    scheinandrasposted 7 years ago

We all know what happened so far in art history. We seen the change from representational to abstract painting, we know the different art movements of the modern era, but do we know what coms next? Are there any secrets left? are there any new movements to come? What do you think which way art is going in these days?

1. apeksha profile image60
      apekshaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Art is all about our imagination.Whatever u imagine u can paste it on paper or ant thing else. Now many new things came in picture as sand magic art and many more..and more to come in future . let's see ....

2. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

It's not really new, but in the scheme of the art world it still in it's infancy, so I would say lowbrow art, also known as pop surrealism, is gaining a lot of respect in certain circles. 

Here is an example by Todd Schorr

1. 0
      wordscribe41posted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's amazing.  I love it!

3. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

It is pretty cool.  It's a comentary on socila hype and hysteria.  Notice in the upper left there is a Tinkerbell behind an angel.  That is a reference to fairies being out in the retail business and a movement towards angel-like depictions.  Jesus wearing a sombrero, I wonder if that is saying something about the influx of illegal Mexicans and isn't that "heart" around His neck something you seen hanging from the mirrors of a lot of Mexican cars?  The Nazi easter bunny and the 30 something Harry Potter are probably commenting on the movement away from the religious right.  Just my opinion though...lol

4. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

It reminds me of Graeme Base's work.  The more you look, the more you find.  You could attribute meaning to the symbolism all day long, huh?  I think that's why it's so cool- it will have different meanings for different people.

5. scheinandras profile image60
    scheinandrasposted 7 years ago

I really like the Todd Schorr piece. Thank you very much.

6. Laura Spector profile image88
    Laura Spectorposted 7 years ago

I really like all the "Pop Surrealism" that's going on right now.  Juxtaposed Magazine is a great place to see it.  I'm wondering what the division is anymore of painting and illustration?  While I was in University (about 15 years ago), there was such a major debate over illustration not being "real" art.  I certainly think this is real art.  I enjoy it.  I also appreciate that people making it, as "lowbrow" as it may be (still not sure what that term refers to), the artists making this work have skills of both painters and draughtsmen - which is lovely to see after the post-modern era which left me bored with only Conceptualism and no emphasis on beauty or skill.  What's next? Hopefully more beauty and a sense of humor!  If artists reflect that which is around them, I wonder what these "pop Surrealists" are reflecting?  Escapism?