jump to last post 1-50 of 68 discussions (77 posts)

Who is your favorite author?

1. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I tend to read a lot. Fiction, non-fiction, it does not matter.  Some books do more for me than others.  I enjoy many different genres but if I had to narrow my selection down to just one author I would have to say that Clive Cussler is my very favorite.  I love the Dirk Pitt novels.  For those that do not know, Dirk Pitt novels are a mix of historical fiction with an Indiana Jones type of adventure.  The world is always at the brink of destruction and Dirk Pitt is the consumate hero.

I know there are many wonderful authors out there and I tend to read series type books because I get to love the characters. But by staying with my favorites, I deny myself the opportunity to follow new and potentially better authors.  If you had to narrow your selection down to just one author, who would it be and why?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image81
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

michael crichton

2. mohitmisra profile image62
      mohitmisraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Patanajali as he crystallizes spirituality like no one else.

3. Migodden profile image77
      Migoddenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Carl Sagan

2. 0
    dennisemattposted 7 years ago

Stephen King, C.S. Lewis, Roald Dahl, J.R.R Tolkien, umm sorry I forgot the authur but specifically the book The Kite Runner, Madeline L'Engle, John Lescroart

1. Earthscribe profile image61
      Earthscribeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh, Madeline L'Engle! One of my favorites foreever... Swiftly Tilting Planet was a masterpiece.

In fiction, I also love~

Tanith Lee (Tales from the Flat Earth)
      Frank Herbert (Dune)
      Umberto Eco (Foucault's Pendulum)
      Robert Anton Wilson (Illuminatus! Trilogy)
      Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide Series)

Mind Body Spirit:

HP Blavatsky (Complete Works)
      Sir John Dee (Heiroglyphic Monad)
      Lao Tzu (Tao teh Ching)
      Svatmarama (Hatha Yoga Pradipika)
      Ray Eales (Essays to Keph Ra)
      Ida Craddock (Heavenly Bridegrooms, Psychic Wedlock)
      Aiwass (Liber AL vel Legis)
      Vivekananda (Raja Yoga)
      Patanjali (Mahābhāṣya, Yoga Sutras)
      Perdurabo (Book Four)
      Bruce Lee (Art of Expressing the Human Body)

Physics, Mathematics:

Niels Bohr (The Unity of Knowledge, Holographic Universe Interviews)
      Richard Feynman (The Feynman Lectures on Physics)
      Henry Poincaré (Science and Hypothesis)
      James Gleick (Chaos: Making a New Science)
      Buckmisnster Fuller (Synergy: the Geometry of Thinking)
      Alan Watts (This Is It, The Book: on Knowing the Taboo Against Who You Are)

Biology, Neuroscience, Ecoscience:

James Lovelock (The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning: Enjoy It While You Can)
      Gazzaniga, Ivry, & Mangun (Cognitive Neuroscience)
      J. Allan Hobson (Chemistry of Conscious States)
      Terrence McKenna (Archaic Revival: Speculations on Psychedelic Mushrooms, the Amazon, Virtual Reality, UFOs, Evolution, Shamanism, the Rebirth of the Goddess, and the End of History)

Culture, Gender Studies, Media Studies:

Camille Paglia (Sexual Personae: Art & Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickenson)
      Betty Friedan (Feminine Mystique)
      Joseph Campbell (Hero with a Thousand Faces, Power of Myth)

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago

Charles Frazier, Richard Russo, Bernard Cornwell, Phillip Gulley

4. quicksand profile image84
    quicksandposted 7 years ago

Sticking to one author will eventually alter your mindset I believe. If you are not too fussy about contemporary writers, I suggest you check out the duo Larry Collins & Dominique Lapierre. The book I have in mind is entitled "Or I'll dress you in mourning."

5. Ivorwen profile image82
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

Just one?  Gene Stratton-Porter

6. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 7 years ago

My all-time favorite is Dean Koontz, and has been for many years...

But there are also so many other terrific authors out there, and I try to check out as many as I can!

7. Mrvoodoo profile image60
    Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago

I could never just go with one, my favorite author often changes depending upon what I've read lately. 

But some long-term favorites include:  Joseph Heller, Ray Loriga, Hunter S Thompson, George Orwell and Bill Bryson.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I somehow forgot Bill Bryson on my list.

1. 60
        Blackngoldbananaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Bill Bryson is awesome, I'm glad you mentioned him, or else I would have forgotten.  I also like John Le Carre and Dean Koontz, John Grisham and was addicted to Clancy books for a while.

8. fierycj profile image85
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

Stephen King. J.D. Salinger. All other authors are very good, no doubt. I read at least five books a week, at least, and the thing I've discovered is that most good authors always write trying to make awfully good. You can tell right away that they know they're good and are trying really hard to meet that expectation. For me, an author ceases to be that good when that happens. That's the thing I like about King and Salinger is, they give me this wuchmacallit - I'm good but I dont give a damn vibe. And besides, I think my sense of reasoning is very similar to them both.

9. Dale Mazurek profile image58
    Dale Mazurekposted 7 years ago

Stephen King-The Dark Tower Series

All time favorite

1. fierycj profile image85
      fierycjposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Brilliant stuff.

10. cashmere profile image83
    cashmereposted 7 years ago

PG Woodehouse...nothing beats him for a good laugh

11. 0
    nazishnasimposted 7 years ago

Oscar Wilde *drools over*

1. Carlos Santo profile image60
      Carlos Santoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wilde is outstanding. However, I also do like Dickens but I'm not sure if I like the idea of liking Dickens or if I actually do like his works, Great Expectations is great though.

12. JonTutor profile image60
    JonTutorposted 7 years ago

Isaac Asimov.

13. anime_nanet profile image60
    anime_nanetposted 7 years ago

Terry Pratchett

14. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 7 years ago

Only one!?!?!?!?!?
    I am not sure that is possible...P.D.Grimes, Anne Perry, James Harriot, G.K. Chesterton, Pauline Gedge, Lois Hole (was queen of Gardening Books and Chancellor of University here, also was Lieutenant Governor - great lady)
    Sorry, I'm over limit - too many great writers...big_smile

15. Mason Hymas profile image60
    Mason Hymasposted 7 years ago

I've always enjoyed Orson Scott Card.

16. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

I love Danielle Steele.

17. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 7 years ago

Dean Koontz...mystery all the way

18. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

mystery writer John D. MacDonald

19. 0
    Iðunnposted 7 years ago

steinbeck without question.

20. Ladybird33 profile image72
    Ladybird33posted 7 years ago

Sidney Sheldon (sp?) loved all his books
    James Patterson, into his right now and read almost all of them

As a kid, what girl didn't love Judy Blume?  Seriously, loved her!

Can't pick one, well, maybe just myself smile

21. 0
    randall malcolmposted 7 years ago

WALT WHITMAN FOR SURE! Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking!

22. C.S.Alexis profile image88
    C.S.Alexisposted 7 years ago

Kahil Gibran, Jack London, Zane Gray, Waldon, do not know if I spelled all the names right....and these are just a few ...way to many to think off the top of my head.

23. indian cooking profile image51
    indian cookingposted 7 years ago

Charles Dickens

I also think Veda Vyasa as a great author. After all he wrote the great Epic Mahabharata!

24. laura-g profile image60
    laura-gposted 7 years ago

Hi, Nobody has mentioned Peter Robinson of the Inspector Banks series (21 books in total I believe) He's really good.

although I have to admit my favourite author tends to change. Depending on what I am reading, I seem to become addicted and have to read everything by that author.

25. Mike Craggs profile image64
    Mike Craggsposted 7 years ago

It depends on what sort of mood I am in. Any of the following would do for a start:

Janet Evanovich, Henry David Thoreau, Charles Bukowski, Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, Sue Grafton, Richard Stark, Peter Hoeg, Albert Camus, Knut Hamsun, Ivan Turgenev and many, many more.

26. Flerity profile image61
    Flerityposted 7 years ago

Scott R.R Bakker is probably the most prolific author of out there today. The Prince of Nothing series is simply amazing

Jerome Flerity

<snipped links - no sigs please>

27. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago

This man... He is my god.

28. usmanali81 profile image61
    usmanali81posted 7 years ago

HARUN YAHYA (Adnan Oktar)

Quoting from the 22nd April 2000 issue of New Scientist, Mr. Oktar became an "international hero" in communicating the fallacy of the theory of evolution and the fact of creation. The author has also produced various works on Zionist racism and Freemasonry and their negative effects on world history and politics. Besides these, Oktar has written more than a hundred books describing the morals of the Qur'an and faith related issues.

Harun Yahya's works, translated into 57 different languages, constitute a collection for a total of more than 45,000 pages with 30,000 illustrations.

29. mirandalloyd profile image60
    mirandalloydposted 7 years ago

Only one? Man, this is going to be tough...

I'd have to say Douglas Adams.

30. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 7 years ago

If I had to pick only one, it would be C.S. Lewis.

31. Watch Tower profile image61
    Watch Towerposted 7 years ago

I love fiction, and these are just the top authors that stick out in my mind when ever I am asked or see this question, Who is /are your favorite Author/ Authors ?

Anne Rice, more famous for her Vampire chronicles, however she has written a number of edge of your chair reading like the the Mayfair Witches.  Piers Anthony for his Incarnation of Immortality series and Xanth Novels.Gorden R. Dickerson. Charles De Lint for the Green Mantle a truly speel binding read. Terry brooks for Kingdom for sale Sold series
    Ursula Leguin for the Earth Sea Trilogy.  Nicholas Luard For Gondar.
    Christopher Paolini for Eragon ( FYI once agin hollywood destroys an excellent book in film media )Eldest, and Brisinger

Sorry impossible for me to pick only one. but if I really have to then Anne Rice, no, Piers Anthony.. EEEK I give up

32. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 7 years ago

Jean Auel, Robert Jordan, and Brian Lumley (can't choose just one). All 3 authors are incredible.

33. blue dog profile image80
    blue dogposted 7 years ago

gabriel garcia marquez.

34. elainevc profile image60
    elainevcposted 7 years ago

Hard to say but i think its Jodi Piccult for her incredible real life-based stories

35. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 7 years ago

I read  pretty much  fiction and non-fiction books. I love humor but a good suspense is always great as well!!! Sophia Kinsella is one of my fav. British authors. Mary Higgins Clark is another great one!

36. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I have quite a few Stephen King, Iris Johnson, Deen Koontz, John Saul, J. K. Rowling. And a new favorite is Ridley Pearson! smile

37. wrenfrost56 profile image83
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

So many....Jane austin, J.k rowling, Stephen king, George orwell, h.g.wells....so many.

38. AllMomNeeds2know profile image60
    AllMomNeeds2knowposted 7 years ago

I love Sophie Kinsella, all of her books are fantastic, funny, and you just feel you know the characters.

39. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

The author I have returned to at more stages in my life and have re-read his books is CS Lewis.

40. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

The list of my favorite writers is a mile long...so many fabulous writers
    Gwen Bristow, Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith, Janette Evanovitch, Elizabeth Peters, Nora Roberts, Dean Koontz, John Saul, Michael Crichton, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, Cornelia Funke..........

41. world of the wise profile image25
    world of the wiseposted 7 years ago

Ellen G White

42. world of the wise profile image25
    world of the wiseposted 7 years ago

Ellen G White

43. Earthscribe profile image61
    Earthscribeposted 7 years ago

Oh Bard, yes I shouldn't forget CS Lewis! A very influential, classic author.

Did you know he was involevd in Druidic revival as well? (I just noticed your affiliation on the profile.)

44. katacham profile image60
    katachamposted 7 years ago

Ok, so after much deliberation my ultimately favourite author would have to be Tolkein. The depth and clarity of Middle Earth in which his characters have been allowed to flourish, for me is sublime. His writing is smooth and his description is particularly vivid for me. I admire his frequent passages of song and poetry as they truly lift the books into the realm of fantasy.

However, i have to say that upon seeing the films, my imagination has been ever so slightly stumped; Peter Jackson directed them a bit too well. tongue

45. lawretta profile image49
    lawrettaposted 7 years ago

Jane Austin "Emma"

46. JonM73 profile image60
    JonM73posted 7 years ago

Peter Straub, Raymond Chandler, and William S. Burroughs. In that order.

47. marshall92 profile image83
    marshall92posted 7 years ago

Dan Brown is my current favorite. His writing is simple, but his books are fun to read.

48. theduckie profile image60
    theduckieposted 7 years ago

stephanie meyer,Frank Beddor,Cassandra Clare,J. K. Rowling,Louis Sachar,L. J. Smith.

Theres many more but I thought I would only post a few.

49. kephrira profile image61
    kephriraposted 7 years ago

tough picking one, so I'll pick two. H P Lovecraft - great horror short stories, and Alastair Roynolds.

1. mirajraha profile image60
      mirajrahaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

H.P. Lovercraft is impressive too.

50. mirajraha profile image60
    mirajrahaposted 7 years ago

Sir Arthur C. Clarke,Tom clancy,R.A Salvatore,Satyajit Ray...and many more.