So..Let's talk about writing...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I have no doubt that we all have opinions and beliefs on various topics.
                   (Man...I know I do!)http://www.thedailyrant.us/rodney.jpg

But...I'd be lying to you...if I told you that was why I was here! It's not even about the money for me...I just love to write.              (Don't get me wrong...I like money!)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GCEHAEVFL.jpg

So...If you want to rant...blurb...think out loud about writing...and basically discuss writing...Go for it. I would like to discuss writing with you...after all that's why I'm here on Hub Pages. But...work it out with other hubbers..too...on this particular forum...cause I work for a living...and these forums can take some time up...replying to them...for sure.

Here I'll start...Why do politicians always have to be so dog gone stubborn in their approach to answering the needs....See I got ya'! A writer has to always keep you guessin'...I told ya' that I didn't want to talk about that here...then I went and started in on a rant. Creativity is where you find it. I like writing. Tell me about what stirs your creative thought process...and/ or inspires you to write...?

Go ahead now...that's what the little gray border button in the bottom corner is for. Hit "Post a Reply"...and type away:

2. Anti-Valentine profile image75
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

I see you're obviously a Rodney Dangerfield fan...

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes...but also, AV...a true fan of comedy. He was among the best...and original. I always like that in a comedian!

1. Anti-Valentine profile image75
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, he was funny, and one of the best.

http://www.listology.com/list/comedy-ce … s-all-time

Steve Martin's ahead of him, though? I don't like him much.

Tough Call...on that. Original stuff of Steve Martin was off the chain...and a comedic writer for many early TV shows...as I understand. Maybe that is going into the calculation. But Rodney was uniquely as funny...that's whats good about many of the older comedians: They bring alot of straight-up funny comedy at you...so much that it is hard to choose...amongst them.

3. rsmallory profile image67
    rsmalloryposted 14 years ago

I don't know why exactly, but I have always been a writer. I love to read and write. I read novels, fiction, history, romance, horror, etc. I write articles, journal, blog, etc. I have written several short stories and am a lyricist so I write a lot of song lyrics as well.

It's a method of coping and dealing with what's going on in my life. It's therapy for myself regardless of whether it is ever published or read by anyone else. I just love doing it. smile

I really agree with that...there is something to writing...that during the process...tends to iron out some of the wild abstracts
      that are beginning to escape or overwhelm us. "Writer's Write!"
      rsmallory. That quote was from a movie with Billy Crystal and Danny Davito "Throw Mama from the Train".

1. rsmallory profile image67
        rsmalloryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I loved that movie! I still turn my head and point out the window when we pass a field of cows! LOL

lollollol"OWEN!"lollollol

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I love writing as well. yes money is great ut it is the root of all evil as they say lol. I find writing relaxing as well as VERY enjoyable. When I am stressed out, I always love to write, even if it is just in my journal/diary. Writing is definitely a huge part of my life.

I love also to read...its so relaxing and so much fun, making my imagination play. smile

Welcome to Hub pages...I find that these days...I'd rather write than read. I save my reading for researching on my favorite topics that i would like to write about!

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. And yes I do read for research as well. But I could never stop reading for sheer pleasure. Gives me good ideas for writing. smile

5. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Like wise the love of writing comes first, the fact that people read and enjoy my material second and the money is an appreciated bonus. Plus I love up hubpages and the community here.

6. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I love writing as well.  I wrote a lot when I was young - I think writing then kept me company and helped me live in a better place than I perceived I was in.  I was never good in school and got my slapped so much for writing poorly that I never pursued it, even though as a teen, I thought Journalism would have been a nice major.

I didn't stop writing for myself though.  I've kept years of journals and poetry.  Writing my first hub and clicking on submit scared the crap out of me.  I did it, I feel good about it and I'll keep at it big_smile

You know what? As writers go...we all tend to have some main things in common. I have years of one line notes...or 1/2 poem
      ideas... (where i started on an idea...that i would get to later
      neutral !)..story ideas, etc....That I never took serious at all.

What a remarkable journey you have been on to finally...get out there and do your "writing thing"! Now...you've crossed one threshold achievement...and your ready to take that forward. Great Spirit! That is really inspiring...as writing goes...to keep going at it. Your going to do well, Jane@CM...good fortune with all your Hubs and your writings!

7. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 14 years ago

The greatest social commentary comedians were Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl... I have seen both, live, in SF at the Purple Onion...Droll, articulate, intelligent, and really, really funny...

I write poetry and stream-of consciousness prose...my output is tiny compared to most hubbers that have been here more than 6 months...7 hubs, 4 on poetry and prose...I have 117 of the most wonderful fans in HubPages...some are more than fans, some I consider close friends...I try to follow and encourage them in their Hubs, and appreciate their input to mine...This has been a very fulfilling experience for me and has given me the confidence to express myself without reservation...Carpe Diem, Larry

Alright...maven101 bringing the "manly" poetry to hub pages...excellent dude! yikes yikes yikes yikes"Crowd Cheers-Go Up!" yikes yikes yikes yikes http://profile.ak.facebook.com/object3/209/115/n67734720034_3739.jpg

...Or whatever your own particular style of poetry is...I know it will help prove that men can "bring the poetry thing"! Glad to see you on the Hub page World...and looking forward to reading some of your work.

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I love to write, and I love Hub Pages because I can write about things that matter to me or interest me. They pretty much let us do what we like here so long as we don't break a few rules, and they aren't very strict rules.

I'd like to write more fiction but it's so hard to sell. I have to make some kind of money, or I feel like I do.

I'm kind of weary of freelancing for other people's websites. I have a few really sweet clients and I'm glad to write for them, but in general I've found the quality of the projects posted on the jobs boards (like Elance, Guru, Odesk) is dropping fast and there's so much competition for this awful work that I'm kind of moving away from it.

I'm working on a novel. That should be a hard sell, but you never know until you try. smile

That's great...I have one that i have been working on...off and on for over 10 years. Hope yours makes a sell sooner than this one...Ive been working on!

9. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Hi I love to write too. What inspires me? I am not quite sure...
    Prawns are way up there though........
    There are many things that inspire me for other matters but writing it just comes and goes.
    It is like waiting for the phone to ring lol.
    It bugs me as most of the inspirations when they do come, surface when I am trying to sleep.
    http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/Goldie_Hawn_Overboard.jpg
    STOP THINKING...NEED TO SLEEP....CAN'T STOP....AGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I know I wish I had the time to write out some dreams I have had...right after they happen. Still..I forget 99.5% of them. Some would make great movies...If I ever do write of them many great movies and books have come into being from someone's dream.
      I want a shot at that, too!

1. wrenfrost56 profile image57
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi manlypoetryman first off great thread. Secondly I keep a pen and note pad under my pillow I swear some of my best ideas come from dream land and if I didn't write them down imediately I would forget them.

10. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I have been working on a science fiction novel now for like 5 years, but I love it so much I can't bear to drop it! And OMG blondepoet that happens to me like all the time! It's so frustrating I know I should be sleeping but I have to write, its a compulsion and my skin really suffers for it!

I have a few years into the future "Sci-Fi/Adventure' that I've been working on for 10+ years. Good Fortune with yours...You should never drop it!

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol and the trouble often by morning the ideas have swept through my mind like the wind in the willow trees smile smile I can hardly remember my dreams either very frustrating.

11. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

hey wrenfrost...good thinking with the pad and pen ready to go!

1. wrenfrost56 profile image57
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear it, good luck with the novel at the rate I am going it will probably take me at least another 10 years. I have the whole story in my mind begining, middle, end, charictors, the twist everything but trying to get it all down. Well it's tough a real labour of love.

12. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

a good stand-up comedian is hard to come by nowadays. only the established older ones are any good.

13. Peter Benoit profile image60
    Peter Benoitposted 14 years ago

Well your motivation for being here must, at least until long experience told you to relinquish it, have included a desire for remuneration (at least in part) because the love of writing could perhaps equally well be satisfied without sharing.  But there is something wonderful about knowing that your words are read — and sometimes appreciated — by others, and that you have caused them to pause and reflect, if only for a moment.  I think we come less close to the truth of explaining our passion when we leave out this key ingredient.

14. Choke Frantic profile image69
    Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

I also love writing. I write short stories, poems, songs and of course, factual pieces for HubPages. I'm just not sure that I could post a creative work here though. First of all, its personal, and HubPages isn't the place for creative writing in my opinion. Although, I do admit it would be cool to earn money for my poems!

15. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

although i do not write as much as i would like to, it gives me a nice break from the day to day technology stuff i work in

16. profile image0
    L.A. Screenwriterposted 14 years ago

i love to write because i have a great need to get these images out of my brain and onto paper...and to be able to share those images with other people.  perhaps one day -- one fine day -- i'll sell a screenplay, it'll get produced, and what i once imagined will be seen by millions of people all over the world.  ahh, to dream the impossible dream.

17. svenrulz profile image53
    svenrulzposted 14 years ago

I had two professors who sold their screen plays - one made enough to take his extended family on a long trip down the Amazon - that would really be exciting!  He filmed the trip and showed it to the class one day - his commentary was hilarious and I always wondered if his writings were funny.

But for me, I am too freaked out to be relaxed enough to write.  I am too fearful of criticism - both others and my own.  Lately though I have had so many drastic things happen, I have begun to write - mainly trying to get the government to respond to my pleas.  I am determined to continue until I succeed, so I am very happy to be a member of Hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)