Can you invest in ART or is it purely for JOY?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. irenev17 profile image61
    irenev17posted 14 years ago

Is it right to buy ART just for a one rason only, to resell it and profit?

1. XTASIS profile image60
      XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why not ?  If that's your / his / her business ?..

2. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, I totally agree with Ralwus.

Why do YOU think most artist paint?  To live in poverty?  Better yet, for the love of it?  Think again.  My mom is an art broker, so I have a little insight into the art collecting world.  Artist get hard-ons when their stuff is sold at auction, and especially when someone thinks it is worthy enough to keep as an investment.

1. awsydney profile image60
        awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RK, she is merely seeking opinions from different people, she is not saying it should be one way or another. I feel the same way as you do. smile

1. RKHenry profile image63

Dude, that's cool.  What did I say that was so bad?  What?  I was just trying to find out her opinion.  I'm really interested to know.

3. spiritactor profile image60
      spiritactorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm-- the answer COULD be as complex as "Does art EXIST for only one reason?".

And yet, as "selling" could be considered a form of "sharing", the monetary payment for the act of finding/procuring it could be simple re-numeration. A condition for that, in my opinion, is your own belief in the art piece. If a "seller" has mastered to a certain degree crucial points of recognizing what makes art beautiful in a universal sense-- that is a very valuable expertise. A buyer could also be re-numerating the seller for that expertise. In that case, I see no "wrong" in the pure intent of selling art for profit.

4. Ben Zoltak profile image82
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can buy art for any reason. In a dialouge I had with some fellow oil painters many years ago, I recall us talking about how someone could buy your art and burn it right in front of you. It would hurt some, but many artists would be fine with it, as long as the cash paid for the art isn't as counterfeit as the vulgarity of destroying good art.

Feel free to buy my art, I know it will be a good investment, at least in lowering our blood pressure!

5. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you don't spend the time knowing it, understanding it and loving it you are likely to come a cropper.

Yes, you can buy art for any reason and good luck to you. Just do your research first.

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Of course, if one can afford to. That's one man's opinion.

3. irenev17 profile image61

I would think, correct me if I wrong, I'm not an artist I'm a bussinesswoman, actually I need to hear this from an Artist, would you like people to ENJOY your work instead of selling it just as a commodity?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Somebody somewhere will enjoy it. You are effectively an agent or broker, if you can give the artist decent cash for his work.... and somebody somewhere is attractive to the painting as a result of your marketing, then there are 3 winners. Some artists will believe that they can make more money selling directly to the end user - whilst others will prefer to shift units asap and move on to the next job.

The worlds most famous paintings have agents all over them, trying to arrange deals, national galleries all over the world compete for the newly discovered picasso's etc, why shouldnt it be the same at the lower end, and middle end, of the market?

4. irenev17 profile image61

I would think, correct me if I wrong, I'm not an artist I'm a bussinesswoman, actually I need to hear this from an Artist, would you like people to ENJOY your work instead of selling it just as a commodity?

IreneV17, Many a great artist have died a pauper. Some mediocre ones have prosper.

I like to paint and I buy art pieces first and foremost because I enjoy looking at them. If they happen to be works of important artists, that is a bonus. This is similar to wine, you buy it to drink. However, there is also absolutely nothing wrong if one were to buy art or wine purely for speculative reasons.

I'm also a businessman and if I say to you that you are a beautiful and charming woman, who has the right to tell me I'm wrong??

2. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I consider myself an artist, and both would be nice.

I have been playing the piano for a very long time. I used to have a tip bowl on the piano when I was earning some extra cash in college. No objections to any big tips, monetary or otherwise smile

1. RKHenry profile image63

I love a good piano bar.

Any artist out there who has a worthy talent should be rewarded. Whether that comes in the from of a specific fan base, monetary means, works being collected- anything.  Art is worth celebrating.  It brings out life.

Yeah, it paid the rent when I was in college. We would not have Piano Man from Billy Joel if it wasn't for that tip bowl during his early days. What a legend!

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I have sold many of my own paintings so it would not bother me. I will not sell my nudes though.

6. irenev17 profile image61

Wow, lot of responses. Thank you everyone.

I agree with most.
    Seems like Art is both an enjoyable thing as well as a commodity to a lot of people.

One of the reasons I wanted these opinions was to see if our pilot program would be of interest.

a stock exchange for all areas of the Independent Arts.
    what do you think, will it work?

The success of a stock exchange is measured by tangible means. Art on the other hand, is more subjective, just like how you have the right to disagree to my earlier claim that you are a beautiful woman.

7. irenev17 profile image61

i think art is BOTH a tangible and an investment.

also, it opens many doors for a broader range of artistic expression in all areas of art -especially the Independent Arts.
    not just music, but film, literature, photography, canvas, sculpture, metalwork, etc.

imagine ordinary people all over the world supporting the art form both ways.not only a sound investment but an extraordinary opportunity for everyone on so many levels.

8. profile image58
    Jane Taxpayerposted 14 years ago

Absolutely. If Art didn't have the ability to appreciate in value, then not oo many people would buy it in the first place. The artis is not just in it for fun... he needs to eat too.

Besides, "Artisan" is a skilled trade. They should be able to make something out of it.

9. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Investing in art can be a tricky business. Some people invest stupidly or really hit a jackpot. Remember, art can grow and change any day, whats famous and great today can become worthless tomorrow due to the fact of what people like and don't like. Also art has invisible boundaries when it comes to marketing, sometimes a piece would only appeal to a girl, sometimes a male, sometimes a child and other times an old person. It is almost imposable to judge that yourself if your not an artist and don't know what your market likes!

~thranax~

10. Dink96 profile image61
    Dink96posted 14 years ago

Great question and wonderful discourse here on your subject!  I have always fantasized to be rich enough to purchase great art, but on a far simpler scale, I have learned that anyone can purchase and enjoy art.  Buy what you enjoy; what speaks to you personally.  It has been my experience that in order for me to purchase art, I have to have that "connection" with the piece.  Anytime you buy art from a living, working artist, you are supporting the arts.  My only rule of thumb is to buy what I love; simply must have.  Otherwise, it's a waste of money.  We have twice yearly art walks in my community and I always put aside some $$ so that I can do some shopping w/ the criteria mentioned above. 

As soon as I'm in the bracket to buy AND sell art for profit, I'll get back to you!

11. irenev17 profile image61

thank you for the compliments, comments.

agreed that most art costs a lot and definitely should be bought because of that connection.

hence the reason for scent of indie ( soi360.com )

not only can a person invest now {{ on a lower scale $ }} but as the art/artist grows, the person grows as well. thus both the fan and artist benefit by expression, connection and worth.

-it is often the smallest group of 'might be' that become the largest voice of 'are'.

12. wrenfrost56 profile image58
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Sure I don't see why not, art is a commodity. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)