jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Disciplines and mediums

1. elisabeth reid profile image77
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

which are your favorites and why?

Mine?

I love fiction.  Anything to do with words, but fiction is my passion.  The way the words weave in and out and around each other, effortlessly, like water from a fountain until a story is told.  Don't get me wrong -- I admire poetry, but I don't feel the same passion for it.  Music touches something deep inside me and is stirring in its own right, particularly when it's live, but the vibrations it sets off aren't as deep.  Visual art...ditto.

What's your passion?  What resonates for you?

2. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 9 years ago

Humor, especially when it's harmless and warm. Combined with art or fiction, in any form.

elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Humor's good...the trick with humor is to toe that fine line.  You know the one I'm talking about.  That line that separates 'over the septic tank' and 'in the septic tank'.

These days, it seems, that line gets blurred more and more easily.  Sing it with me, boys and girls, "Times, they are a'changin'...."

Okay.  I'm gonna go hide now.

tongue

3. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 9 years ago

nonfiction.  stats, graphs, charts, data, info.  I look at those things and see people.  I could bury myself up in a book on how gets what from government transfers all day.

Charts, graphs and stats, huh?  Math?

They scare me.

4. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 9 years ago

Formal poetry - sonnets, ballades, roundels, terzanelles - most of the genres (except sestinas!)  I get a huge kick out of working within the constraints and trying to use the form to the subject's advantage. But music too, and too many types to mention. I have a few guitars, but the one I bought in Spain when I was 17 still travels everywhere with me MANY years on!

I wish I had the discipline for that.  I admire poets more than I can express -- my own attempts at it are laughable, though.  It's one of those things, I've decided (for me, anyway), better left to the experts.

I've heard others bemoaning sestinas...what is it about them?  What are they?

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Hi Elisabeth -

A sestina is a poem with six 6-line stanzas followed by one 3-line stanza, so 39 lines in all. The last word in each line in stanza one becomes the last word in each line in stanza two, but used in a different order. And so on till the end. I've done a few, but I don't much enjoy the process because it feels more like a puzzle than writing poetry. I'll maybe post one in a hub.

5. elisabeth reid profile image77
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

Thank you.    I've wondered that for a long time.

working