jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)

Video Games

1. renegadeoffunk profile image59
    renegadeoffunkposted 8 years ago

Do you think video games constitute a form of art?

I think so. What do you think?

2. tbartle profile image80
    tbartleposted 8 years ago

They sure are art.  Just think of the elements of video games:

Is music art? 
    Are painted backgrounds art?
    Are unique fictional characters art?
    Is fictional dialog art?

I think the answer to all of this is yes.  Then again, it depends on each person.  It's like asking if comic books are art, or if rap is art.  Yes, it is all art.  Just new forms of it.

1. Griffo profile image77
      Griffoposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Ah yes, but is art even art?

3. jaymz profile image80
    jaymzposted 8 years ago

Definately an art!
    I mean there are very few fields to with graphics, music, characters, and a real story line are present. I usually takes a pretty big team to pull off a really good game.

4. renegadeoffunk profile image59

Ah yes, but is art even art?

Oh noes! My brain juices!

5. Talem profile image83
    Talemposted 8 years ago

Definitely.  I believe they constitute art from MANY artists, collectively in a packaged functioning game.

Programmers are artists, and so are character/landscape drawers.  There are so many artists collaborating in a game.

6. Originplus profile image60
    Originplusposted 8 years ago

Yes Its definately Art. More so in todays gaming generation. The developers give these characters of these games a storyline, a history. And as the person playing these games we become the character. Giving the gaming experience much more element.

7. Kisu Shite Mo I? profile image60
    Kisu Shite Mo I?posted 8 years ago

I'm a HUGE fan of video games my friend, and yes, it verry much is an art. big_smile

Haha even sanwiches are art now! (So says Subway) Haha losers.. ;]

8. rosen profile image59
    rosenposted 8 years ago

Video games certainly are a form of art. All the elements of design and creativity needed says it all. Just that occasionally the gamer is so engrossed in the game that they don't see the game in that way.

9. renegadeoffunk profile image59

Well I have heard some argue that video games are better classified as toys or just recreational consumer electronics. The fact that they are used mostly for fun, while ''real'' art is in a museum or on a stage (presumably being watched by very serious faced people).

Of course it all depends on how we define the word art. It is one of the most complex and essential abstractions among all human activity. For me, art is defined by being expressive. Art SAYS something, unlike, say, a rock or car or most other things.

It's a broad definition, to be sure; you could easily argue that rocks and cars are artistic and expressive in their own way. Nevertheless, I don't think you could easily argue that videogames are NOT art.

10. 58
    makulitposted 8 years ago

what is your true name?

11. 0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 8 years ago

I think videogames/computer games are a natural evolution from Movies and there will come a day when graphics technology gets to such a point that watching a movie will be considered by a substantial portion of the population in developed worlds to be an inferior media experience.

12. Project Mobius profile image60
    Project Mobiusposted 8 years ago

the graphics you see in video games = art

13. 59
    Donna18posted 8 years ago

yea video games are built totally on imagination skills and where imagination is used it an art. That's what i think at least........................

14. WHoArtNow profile image84
    WHoArtNowposted 8 years ago

Yeah video games are artistic, especially the concept images, some of them are unreal! Especially the fantasy and sci fi stuff

15. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 8 years ago

100% art, I am pleasantly shocked at some games I play on