jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Gimp Computer Software Experimenting

1. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 7 years ago

I have lately been experimenting with the free art software Gimp and I've done a quick hubpage about it, although I won't link to it here, you can see it on my profile page.

Has anyone used Gimp for their digital art and how have you found it compared to something like Photoshop?

1. Rod Marsden profile image80
      Rod Marsdenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I use windows paint which is a very simple program. I get some good results. They say a good photographer can get a good shot with a box brownie as opposed to the latest high tech digital camera. Of course the trick is that anyone can get that good shot with the high tech gear if they just keep shooting.

2. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

I use GIMP on my netbook since its so small and isnt a system hog - after using photoshop for ten years I cant say GIMP compares but its mostly an issue of the UI, there are add-ons for GIMP that make it act and appear more like Photoshop, which really helped my learning experience.

http://lifehacker.com/5198012/tweak-gim … -photoshop

3. Blogging Erika profile image74
    Blogging Erikaposted 7 years ago

I like the IDEA of GIMP a lot, and I've used it before when I haven't had access to Photoshop.  Photoshop blows GIMP out of the water in every conceivable way... except price!

4. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 7 years ago

Unfortunate name - isn't a gimp an s&m guy in leather mask and on a leash and all that?

1. waynet profile image49
      waynetposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hahahahahaha yes the gimp, bring out the gimp!!

2. Cirdon profile image60
      Cirdonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Just an FYI, the name of the program, Gimp, is actually an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program.

I used Photoshop since Photoshop 7, so about 10 or 12 years at this point. My primary use has been digital paintings and illustrations. About a year ago, I installed Gimp again on my work computer because I didn't have access to a Photoshop license and needed to make graphics for a project I was working on. I had tried Gimp in the past and found it lackluster, but after using the latest version at the time, I couldn't go back to Photoshop.

I found Gimp to be more than capable of doing everything I needed it to do and did it without being a clunky system hog that Photoshop's recent versions have turned into.

It does have a learning curve, especially if you're coming from Photoshop, but as others have mentioned, there are addons and whatnot that make it feel more like Photoshop (namely, the Gimpshop project, which provides one download source for Gimp with all the addons to look/act more like Photoshop). There may also be some tweaking of options required to get some of the familiar settings back (zooming with the scroll-wheel, for example, is not a default in Gimp).

Overall, though, I've found Gimp to be very comparable to Photoshop at this point.

5. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 7 years ago

Yes I'd agree on all of your points, Gimp is fast becoming a good alternative to Photoshop and it's still free, with all of the add ons you can get, I am excited to go through and learn how to do specific things with it.

6. mystixsprings profile image75
    mystixspringsposted 7 years ago

I have the product on my computer but found it difficut to use.  I guess that I need experence on photoshop.  I was using scaned images and not ones that were taken by a digital camera.  Does it make a difference when useing gimp?

7. mystixsprings profile image75
    mystixspringsposted 7 years ago

I have the product on my computer but found it difficut to use.  I guess that I need experence on photoshop.  I was using scaned images and not ones that were taken by a digital camera.  Does it make a difference when useing gimp?

8. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 7 years ago

I downloaded GIMP because it's free, and it works like a champ on the MAC.  However, I suck at it, and I never take the time to figure it out.  I can do basic things, but I want to learn how to build and remove layers etc..

9. Freshalex profile image60
    Freshalexposted 7 years ago

I have both Photoshop and Gimp, I primarily use photoshop and have never got used to gimp. I guess I never gave it a chance.

working