jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Drawing,Copying as an aid to reading and writing.

1. 61
    LMScottposted 6 years ago

More children than ever are leaving school without learning to read or write properly.

Possibly having passed the very debatable, five-seven year old age group without having reached the desired standard of education, the older student possibly requires more advanced reading material than a six year old child.

It is now accepted as fact that copying the skills of experts in sketching and writing is a sound way to teach both reading and writing.

With that logic in mind I have taken part of one of my books "Beautiful Britain" actually several wonderful black lead pencil drawings, sketched by J.Hedges in 1824, and I have put them in electronic p.d.f format, with blank spaces between the drawings for students to copy them.

Having deliberately left the valuable drawing unsecured, it is now easy for a student to print them out and copy them at leisure.

The same tecnique using good quality text or the wonderful copperplate writing of the Victorian age should also produce good results.

Best wishes,
    newbie H.

2. roughtide profile image60
    roughtideposted 6 years ago

Being an artist myself, I am very sensitive about the copyright laws. Is this not infringing a bit on the copyrights of the original artists? Not accusing you of anything to that effect, just curious if you had looked at it from that perspective.

1. waynet profile image47
      waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This may be ok if the artist has been dead for a period of 75 years or more as authors and artists lose the copyright to their work after a certain timeframe or something to this effect as the work becomes public domain material!

3. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

you should make this into a hub

4. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

LM I agree with Crazd, this sounds like a hub in the making... since you have no hubs, maybe that's your idea? From a PERSONAL perspective, if students copied  my work to learn from it, I wouldn't mind (I might even be flattered). But, copying my work for profit is a no-no!

5. 0
    TMinutposted 6 years ago

I've done this before with my kids so that they could learn how punctuation is to be correctly used and what good writing is. I've also had one of my kids draw his lessons in cartoons - that was quite successful and fun because he always found a way to slip in a comical note. (He drew a cartoon of the Boston Tea Party and had a guy hiding behind a mast on the ship sneaking one last cup of tea.)