jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

How do you like

1. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

your fiction?  Long and liesurely or short, fast and hard?  Any particular genre?   Do you like subtle or do you want it all laid out in black and white? 

I know there are a lot of poets on this particular board but you must have some kind of fiction predeliction.  Something that makes you turn a page...

C'mon...I promise I won't tell.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image89
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

Good writing, and a story that takes me out of my own world.

It can be long, short, soft, or hard.  I don't have a preference as long as it reads well.

3. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

Those are mandatory.   But half the time I'm in some other world anyway.

4. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

Believable characters, convincing dialogue. Given these two, the setting (geographical & temporal) is secondary.

elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The author's ability to make me suspend disbelief is paramount.  Gotta happen, otherwise I'll still read the book (usually) but I'll read it in a whole different light.  More like, "Oh.  My.  God.  How did this get past an editor?"

Then I alternately feel better -- and worse.

5. caspar profile image83
    casparposted 8 years ago

I like my fiction long, because I hate starting a new book.  It seems such a chore compared with settling back into the depths of a story where I already know the characters.  I read in bed every night, and my heart always sinks a little when I remember that I finished a book last night and now I've got to get into another one...but the worst feeling is when I've finished a book and I haven't got another one!

elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Been here. Often.  Feels like physical withdrawal.  Do you ever find yourself rationing the last fourth of a book because you don't have anything waiting in a TBR pile?

Do you find yourself almost hoarding books so you won't go through it?

God, I'm a mess.  I s'pose it could be worse, though.

1. caspar profile image83
        casparposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely.  Also, the joy of finding a book which is so gripping I can't put it down is balanced by the horrible feeling that the book won't last for more than one or two evenings and the next book will be nowhere near as good (if I've even got a next book).

6. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 8 years ago

It just depends what I'm in the mood for. Which changes rapidly.

7. Stacie Naczelnik profile image89
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

You know what I love, but rarely find?

A novel that feels like an old friend.  It is so sad when you part, it lingers with you for weeks, months, years.  Something odd will remind you of it, make you want to visit that friend again.

Each time you visit the friend, you learn something new.

Sometimes, you need to take a break from reading to recover from the parting with the old friends.

It is almost a love affair.

8. Ben Evans profile image74
    Ben Evansposted 8 years ago

I like fiction that shows reality.  I think that voice is very important in creating a feel that the reader is participating or becoming the character in the story.  Being a new hubber, I shall find some real good fiction that I have not read.

In my opinion, it is best to approach a topic and a genre that is familiar to you.  Writing a story about childhood ,a first love, or another interesting moment in the past can be the best start for making a believable story.  It becomes interesting to the reader when we can both relate or empatize with the character.

9. rogue nestling profile image61
    rogue nestlingposted 8 years ago

I like to read true accounts, I read lots of Ann Rule and biographies. I like to read poetry and short stories, but don't have the time to indulge in poetry as much since adulthood as one needs the time to really savor those words. I also love some suspense, or a novel that brings you into the story like you are actually one of the characters. It's a wonderful experience to be unable to put a book down because the lines between story and reader become blurred.

10. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 8 years ago

The beauty lies in words when they are arranged beautifully.This is the art of all novels,fictions, and poetry itself.Words show their powers when they are designed with their right position and right time.