jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

what is the rationale?

1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago

Behind shelling out ridiculously large amount of money for a piece of art/Elvis' underwear/a 1890 postal stamp......... things like that

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 7 years ago in reply to this

What in the world are you talking about? People like to collect things. The most rare and wanted usually = the most money.

1. thirdmillenium profile image61
        thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That precisely is the point. I don't remember exactly but a half-eaten cake by somebody or other went for some millions under the hammer. I mean what does it matter you have it in possession or not?
        I am not arguing against collection but the price you pay for it.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
          marinealways24posted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol @ selling cake. I agree there are some silly things and ridiculous prices people pay for them. I can't say a lot, I buy and sell sports cards in the low hundreds and thousands.

2. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 7 years ago

Actually, what make something collectable and worth money is items that were mass produced, that are now hard to find, but are still in demand.  For example, a certain type of toy that was put into cereal boxes, for the kids pulled them out, played with them to destruction, but are in demand because they were the year the little car first came out, like the 57 chevy as an example for lack of another.

working