jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

for my stories

1. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

i'm teaching myself how to draw for my childrens stories. when i get one of those drawing books i can draw the picture pretty good. the trouble is i need the picture in a different position or in movement and i'm having a hard time with that. i haven't been able to find a book that will show me how to do it. does anyone have any recommendations?

1. dunkpick profile image61
      dunkpickposted 6 years ago in reply to this

1. NewHorizons profile image80
        NewHorizonsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have bought an artists 'manequin', I don't know what it's called exactly.  A wooden doll with moveable joints, waist and head, so you can position it as you like.  You have seen one in an artists shop for sure.  The one I have is about 18 inches tall.  Quite a useful tool and you might find it helpful for your project.

2. 0
      Justine76posted 6 years ago

practice? I know that anything Ive ever wanted to learn, I had to just try it out, and keep trying. Im not so sure what you need?

1. bonny2010 profile image61
        bonny2010posted 6 years ago in reply to this

hi Lecie - I don't know of any books which give you this sort of information, but you may find something onebay if you look for books on children's in book illustrations or illustrators, also a lot of art magazines advertise booklets on how to draw animals.
        however I find if iam having problems I usually start off with a stickfigure of the animal in the position of want it and then flesh it out - another method I use is I picture the animal in my mind and move it around until I get what I want, but I usually picture this in cartoon form. The other thing you can do is have lots of comics, storybooks and such on hand to get your ideas from them, use a little of each until you have created what you are happy with - hope I was some help