jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Who is into Sculpting?

1. ArthurWinford profile image59
    ArthurWinfordposted 6 years ago

I have been through most of Asia and some of these places have artists that can sculpt your face and body into a statue.  I have recently wrote a hub about a doll.  But statues handmade and how quick they do it is amazing.
    Who sculpts for a living or hobby and what do you sculpt?

2. galleryofgrace profile image81
    galleryofgraceposted 6 years ago

I enjoy sculpting. Mine is pretty much folk art sculpting. I use ecrater to promote my menu collectibles sculpture series.

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not that I can anywhere near make these, but I was recently amazed when I discovered sculpted clay babies, miniature dolls that are so realistic it's amazing. 

This link isnt to the most amazing of them, but it's an example.

There's also someone on YouTube who sculpts babies for cakes (they're so real it's kind of creepy to think of eating eating or cutting the cake; but I found them absolutely amazing.

The making of a cake:

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I can sculpt in any medium but metal. I don't weld.
        I can sculpt anything. I have a 2ft tall bronze statuette of Theseus wrapped around the neck of the neck of the Minotaur rearing on hind legs with hands wrapped around Thesius's neck. It cost me $1500 to get a mold made and have it poured and finished.
        I can do realism, but my favorites are grotesqueries.
        Ugly mishapen faces and heads...monsters that look so real that if you use proper lighting, they look like they are alive.
        I also work with clay.
        I don't do little dolls. I can but why?
        I don't plan my "grotesqueries." I just begin and let my imagination go.
        It's much too costly to make molds and have them poured. So I use Clay and plaster of paris and paints.
        I've never put them up for sale.
        I do them just to do them.