jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

any tips forchoose Shutter Speed

1. snow2010 profile image60
    snow2010posted 6 years ago

Choosing your shutter speed is one of the most vital artistic decisions a photographer has to make when snapping a photo.any tips on this?

1. curious mind profile image60
      curious mindposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it depends on the type of shot you are looking for, an action shot should have a fast shutter speed but when shooting a river a very slow shutter speed would dramatize and highlight the movement of the water. portraits i recommend fairly fast/medium because they have the most potential to blur. its really up to you, when i am feeling really artistic i use long shutter speeds and create almost ghost images. as an artist its really your call though, hope i helped!

2. retrophoto profile image61
      retrophotoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps, I'm a bit late on this, but shutter speed has everything to do with the amount of light reaching the focal plane.  Variables to this will be: 1. actual available light.  2. Lens speed or the equivalent to the maximum aperture of a given lens.  3. Film speed or ISO / ASA (what ever people go by these days.  4. Actual aperture, based on available light, actual ISO and shutter speed.

The real question you have to ask yourself is what effect do you wish to achieve?

If you are looking for clarity throughout the entire image, then you need a small aperture or a higher number F-Stop. 

If you want motion, then you want to slow your shutter speed.
      Or as Scramble posted, you can choose a very slow shutter speed, (I prefer bulb) and use a flash to freeze a moving object.

Look me up, I'll write a hub on this.  Feel free to ask me questions on this if you wish.

2. scramble profile image76
    scrambleposted 6 years ago

A flash/blur effect is nice too. Select a shutter speed slow enough to make the exposure but also use the correct flash setting and you'll get the primary image from the flash and a secondary ghosting from the regular available light.

1. 49lart profile image70
      49lartposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you photograph crashing waves on a bright day, a fast shutter speed will freeze the spray. The same scene photographed with a slow shutter the movement will blur and create a more artistic impression which will change depending on how slow the shutter speed is set. By using a neutral density filter and low iso you will create a more atmospheric effect using very long shutter speeds.

3. cupid51 profile image52
    cupid51posted 6 years ago

I always use the thumb rule - higher shutter speed for moving object, even I use relatively higher shutter speed when portraying children. In low natural light good photo can be taken with low shutter speed but there is a chance of blur if the camera is not on a tripod or you are a very experience photographer.