jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How do you blow glass?

1. romper20 profile image85
    romper20posted 6 years ago

I'm curious I'm trying to make something for my girl friend.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

couple of ways - some use propane torches with wands of glass; and some use extremely hot fire ovens used just for glass blowing.  i've seen both ways in action.  it is quite the artform and would take awhile for someone to explain it in writing - i'm sure it is best to see it in action from those that know how to do it .  Can get burned really easily too!

romper20posted 6 years ago in reply to this

awesome thanks for the input someway!

2. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a friend who is a professional glassblower, who makes her own line of drinking glasses.

Glassblowing is not something you take up casually, as molten glass is about 2000 degrees Fahrenheit.

romper20posted 6 years ago in reply to this

wow thanks so much relache

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Very carefully? lol

3. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Depends what his first name is, buh du dum *Tschish*

4. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

Just be sure to not inhale!  Botta bing!

5. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

The only way to blow glass effectively is by using a furness. It is a serious art and is highly skilled and dangerous. There are 2 methods used dependant on what is being made. What Relache is referring to is the easiest in that it uses moulds in the forming process. 
    Freeform glass blowing is far superior in that all objects created refect completely the skill of the blower. I spent a year learning this in my youth and have carried many white-hot glass spark shrapnel scars from the experience.
    If you are serious then find a professional and volunteer a week of your time - you will be amazed at what is involved and may even be given the opportunity to see how much you cheeks inflate.