jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Dress making form?

1. 0
    WildIrisposted 6 years ago

I cannot find ready made patterns for my daughter that either one of us like, so I'm looking for a dress form for draping. Any suggestions? We want to make semi-formal performance wear. Something that will look beautiful while seated in front of a Steinway 7' grand piano.  Dress form suggestion or pattern suggestion would be appreciated.

1. RNMSN profile image89
      RNMSNposted 6 years ago in reply to this

jo annes fabrics and hancocks fabrics o line and i store are the only places I have ever seen a dress form...around 200 dollars...not too bad...w mart used to have them but I havent seen one there in a long time///good luck!!!!

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I visit Youtube *Threadbanger* videos. They shown how to make a body form with your own body out of duct tape lol not sure that's what you are looking for but is a thought. smile

3. RNMSN profile image89
    RNMSNposted 6 years ago

duct tape? wow!! bound to be better than jo annes price!!! I will check it out

4. RNMSN profile image89
    RNMSNposted 6 years ago

hey I found the link and it looked really cool!! here you go

http://www.ehow.com/how_4425108_make-dr … -from.html

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I actually have a hub about these, and probably will do another more specific one. The reason is that while I was researching I found out a good way to make your own (the duct tape idea) and it seems more popular with readers then buying an expensive one big_smile

6. RNMSN profile image89
    RNMSNposted 6 years ago

they make it look very easy I say try wmart or jo annes I canged my mind about the duct tape

7. IdaKenelm profile image60
    IdaKenelmposted 6 years ago

I always wanted to make a duct dape one, but you doing so requires two people.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wonder if there could be a mini business there, offering to be the helper to make a person their own custom made dress form?

8. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 6 years ago

I had a friend ask me to "tape" her so she could make her own dress form, and it was really easy.  The more care you take in applying the tape, the better the form will look.

9. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 5 years ago

Wow, I'm going to check this out too, the duct tape idea.  I know when I have tryed to find a dress form, they are a little spendy.  If you know of someone who has one, maybe they would let you borrow it?  Have fun, I'm sure the dress will be fabulous!

10. FloBe profile image82
    FloBeposted 5 years ago

I used to have a wire form that you plugged in and it would soften, then you'd put it on, mold it to your body and unplug it. The form would harden to fit your shape exactly. I don't have it anymore and can't seem to find it being sold anymore. That's not much help for you in the moment but perhaps someone knows where one like that still exists??