should i buy a nikon or a canon?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (67 posts)
  1. rangelica86 profile image59
    rangelica86posted 13 years ago

What should i buy? nikon or canon?

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages.

Nikon or Canon - is this an SLR camera?

In my experience there are two definite camps and the Nikon lovers will swear by their brand and vice versa.  I've used both and I love my Canon SLR.  I've also compared the same photographs (enlarged) taken by each camera side by side and sometimes the Canon one looks better but sometimes its the Nikon one. 

Awhile ago the Canon was a much lighter camera but I'm unsure whether thats an issue now.

It then becomes a matter of choice, price, lens selection, the feel and what you want from your camera etc.

I'll look forward to reading the responses from other hubbers.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends really.... if you are an American then you may wish to consider supporting an American corporation and buying a Kodak... they keep a lot of people employed in Rochester...

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey cool!

I may be in the UK now but I am still american (even go very southern with my accent from time to time, used to give the kids at my school a giggle when ever I did). I really do love my Kodak big_smile

2. drgigi profile image61
        drgigiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the idea of supporting the products of your country and thats nationalism. however i consider also how advance the camera.

3. incite7 profile image59
      incite7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Canon, no doubt

4. jeremiah.swenson profile image60
      jeremiah.swensonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look at your budget and spend 1/3 of it on the body and 2/3 on a lens. Both Nikon and Cannon are excellent cameras so just buy the cheapest one. I personally shoot a Nikon if that matters to you and am very happy with it. Again however, focus your money on a quality lens.

5. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are all good. What is your goal? Do you want to take photos for fun or professionally?

6. KensLens profile image60
      KensLensposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully you have made a purchase by now.  But if not, go Nikon.  There's really no comparison.  See Below:

Ni-kon cam-er-a  (noun)
      1. a renowned, superb, superior, device (the choice of professional photographers) for taking photographs by letting light from an image fall briefly onto sensitized film or image sensor, usually by means of a lens and shutter mechanism.

Can-on (noun)
      1. a modern heavy artillery weapon large enough to need to be mounted for firing, for example, one mounted on a warship or on a tracked vehicle.

So you see Nikon is the clear choice for photography.

7. Kazechan profile image58
      Kazechanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No matter What Nikons win my heart, as a photographer. I don't know just something about since I was a kid made me favor it more then any other type of camera. However if the Canon could be a good choice if you don't mind so faults and it sometimes does have better Iso and other things old Nikons don't. It all depends on the user really on what he/she should get. Why not go ot your local storys and play with them for awhile? I'm sure you have a Best Buy with display cameras all over the place!
      :3

8. drperetz profile image38
      drperetzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey I think you should check out my hub about the importance of a full frame 35mm sensor that is not installed in  all digital cameras.

No advice is better than some advice. don't follow what people tell you and make a decision yourself. There are forums and blogs that talk about this kind of thing all the time. This is a natural phenomenon.

I personally picked Nikon d40, but what I didn't know is that its not really a professional camera since it has only 6.1 megapixels. But I have a 35mm canon d2000 for my film photography which I love more.
      I do pinhole too but that's another story.

2. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 13 years ago

They are just as good as each other, but some are better in certain situations. Canon tends to be more reliable for indoor photography and nice days. Nikon is better for outdoors and is designed for durability of such situations.

So, it really depends on what you're in to.

1. Sunny_S profile image60
      Sunny_Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Canon DSLR's are pretty good but if you got a bit more money then i advise the Canon EOS 7D. an absolutely amazing camera with excellent video.

1. deweyduck profile image60
        deweyduckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Canon EOS 7D is AMAZING.  I have a slightly older Canon XSi that I still love.

To rangelica 86, go with a Canon!

Hey deweyduck im glad you like the canon EOS 7D it is pretty mamazing, i would like to actually buy it but i only got as far as testing it...

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I love my Kodak camera but we couldn't afford much and so spent ages looking for something with a decent spec that was cheep. I love mine even tho it is a compact camera (not fancy slr or anything) as it takes nice enough pics and they have actually been put on like greeting cards n such that have sold. I would love someday to have something for taking pictures of insects as I do struggle with them but otherwise I love my kodak big_smile

Kodak also do the most economical printers as well...

4. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Interestingly enough, there are wonderful reviews of all three competitors on the internet. I saw some that had Nikon as a front runner and some that had Canon. Others said the quality of picture from the Sony was second to none.

Tough choices. smile

5. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Cannon is more known for indoor work. Nikon for outdoor and sports.

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Canon takes excellent outdoor photos!  smile

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine, too. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see your understanding of photography and cameras is on a par with any other subjects you voice an opinion on. wink

Canon is world famous as being the choice for sports photographers. In- or out-doors.

http://hubpages.com/u/181054.jpg

1. profile image0
        RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you finally admit Canon is the best!! LOL
        Woohoo! tongue

3. guymclaren profile image61
      guymclarenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know those big white lenses you see at sports events are all Canon right?

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You do know how to read the posts all the way through right?

6. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 13 years ago

all of my hubs on chile, patagonia and barton creek were taken with a canon dslr.  outdoors, as well. 

it's obvious canon works just fine outdoors.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Canon takes amazing outdoor shots.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3248255_f520.jpg

this was taken by my son who has a canon, not sure which one, but he uses it outdoors all the time.

bluedog's photos are top of the line. beautiful

I have a Nikon, and I like it, but I think Canon makes a better camera. my next will be upgraded to a Canon.

brilliant picture

8. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 13 years ago

Canon for me, all the way. Not that Nikon is less of a camera, but the pros use mostly Canon and so there is a lot more out there made for the Canon and/or with Canon in mind. I'm assuming you are not talking strictly economy here but quality.

9. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Ask any pro, Nikon is what they prefer to use in terms of design, ease of use, sensible layout, camera built from quality materials, camera features, the way the accessories are designed it's more ergonomic, performance -- especially less shutter lag, and great images even at higher ISOs.  Canon is used by the big corporations because the cameras and accessories are cheaper -- they get a better break from the company, they sponsor a lot of events and any accredited photojournalist can go to their tent and borrow what they need, that's why you see so many of those pale colored lenses out there.  But from an aesthetic and functional point of view the pro photographer prefers Nikon.

10. Studio E profile image57
    Studio Eposted 13 years ago

Get a Timex camera they make nice watches too. just kidding go for Canon. smile

11. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Both are super - but I have a Nikon because I had an older 35 mm with a bunch of great lenses and didn't want to reinvest in new lenses.  I bought a digital and all the lenses fit and it is SO awesome.  I've always been a Nikon girl myself though I've seen the pics from some of my friends' Canon and I think they are just as awesome....and there are many others out there!

12. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

check out FCEtier's profile page. he is a photographer.

13. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

I have a nikon...but can't provide further info re comparing anything...I like it and am getting to know it...I'm going to publish a hub with some pics I've been taking one day.  I'd like a longer/bigger lense though...soon....

14. Journey * profile image69
    Journey *posted 13 years ago

I think Canon is awesome!

15. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

We have a Nikon D300 and love it!

16. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 13 years ago

Both are as good.  There is actually no comparison.  It's just like twins.  By the way I have my Nikon.

17. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I would like a Cannon, but my hubby bought me a Sony DSLR.  It takes great pictures.

Yup the DSLR is pretty decent, nice camera

18. profile image49
    kellyybrownnposted 13 years ago

it all depends on your needs, personally i like a nikon better than a cannon.
    cannons tend to be a little more expensive, but have more options, best suggestion is go to a store and check them out and see which one feels better to you.

1. Steve 3.0 profile image63
      Steve 3.0posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find canon cheaper than nikon in the UK.  Can't see a nikon that matches the 550D for that price.

19. liljen23 profile image73
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

From some reviews, I think Nikon is the best as far as the latest technology in cameras and making good photos. Nikon is really moving up to be the best cameras to get and I like the fact they are small and sleek to fit anywhere like your pocket or purse. I seen one that had a touch screen on it and I fell in love with it. I will be purchasing one for Christmas.. smile

20. junglejuiced profile image60
    junglejuicedposted 13 years ago

There are too many factors to consider and it's not easy to say one or another. I've found in my own personal experience that you need to get hands on with it to see if it fits your hand well. The entry level Canon's have a better interface for one handed control than the Nikons so thats what I preferred and is why I went with Canon but as you spend more money it comes down to personal preference.

Now I'm with Canon though I wouldn't change over as I'm incredibly happy with them!

21. darkinlight profile image60
    darkinlightposted 13 years ago

go go go for nikon D3s .. cool

22. profile image52
    lauriemellorposted 13 years ago

Having said that, you can set either to look like the other. You can de-saturate and cool a Nikon down just as easy as you can warmify and ramp up the saturation in the Canon. If you are wanting to buy, color rendition SHOULD NOT be the deciding factor since each is very tweakable.
    Acai Advanced Cleanse

23. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Nikon.  They produce the highest quality of lenses on the market.  I own several Nikons all at different ages.  My best is my still camera, which I purchased in 1987.  The quality of photos that I shoot are amazing.  For daily fun use, I own a Sony and it also takes great shots.  I have owned Canons in the past, but was never satisfied with them.  I would never hesitate to purchase another Nikon.

24. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

How about Canon as it has such a good reputation...

Takes Excellent Photos.

25. MalcolmKlock profile image61
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

Either can do fine for you, I personally prefer Canon as its what I'm familiar with but many people will champion Nikon. The real difference will be made in the glass you invest in. Good lenses will outlive whatever your camera body is.

Personally though, the T2i through 5D MKII line of Canon DSLR's is untouchable in terms of value and quality. The video features really make them irresistible.

26. MalcolmKlock profile image61
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

Also, in this thread I see a lot of Canon vs Nikon talk, but not much in the way of specifics about models. Don't just make the choice to go with one brand or another, the individual models scale in both price and quality from the low hundreds to several thousand. Its really about what you need, different models have different strengths. You really want to know what kind of photographer you are before you invest in pricey gear. With camera's its easy to spend way more than necessary for features you will never touch, or spend just a little less and be cheated out of mountains of quality.

27. nokili profile image61
    nokiliposted 13 years ago

I have a Nikon D90 it takes absolutely amazing photos. Nikon makes amazing lenses and I can shoot video. I agree that  the lenses are your biggest (and can be most expensive) asset. I know you aren't supposed to link in the posts and I wont, but you and anyone else who is serious about taking pictures should google Ken Rockwell Photography. He has taught me so much and he has several reviews on his website. Above all he has a wonderful article on why your camera doesn't matter, all that can take a great picture is you.

have fun!

28. mypleasurefantasy profile image78
    mypleasurefantasyposted 13 years ago

I use a nikon, because I enjoy the small sizes some of the models come in. Nikon is a great camera, but canon is amazing for color hues and tones, where as Nikon tends to mute the tones. As far as price goes, it depends on your budget. Canon tends to be cheaper by far, especially in the lens department; whereas Nikon is expensive with both bodies and lenses. So really, its up to you. Go to a photo equipment store and try them both out to see which one suits your needs the best. Good luck!! I hope you find your perfect DSLR!

29. alexandruv profile image59
    alexandruvposted 13 years ago

Love the KensLens reply. Too funny.

Anyway both Canon and Nikon are very good cameras. If you're talking about a SLR Canon or Nikon there are a few things to consider: Nikon bodies are better than Canon ones BUT Canon lens are better than Nikon ones smile

That's in my opinion - I have used both brands for many years. I ended up using Canon - just because I got used to them but I'd use a Nikon anytime. I'm talking only about the pro DSLR's (eos 5D or D700).

If you're after the point and shoot...probably Canon cameras are better. They look cool too. But I guess it doesn't really matter if it's a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Kodak etc - all point and shoot are the same.

Hope it helps...B&H is a really good place to buy photographic equipment from!
    B&H is a really good place to buy photographic equipment from!

30. profile image48
    draganflameposted 13 years ago

i prefer to use Nikon for a long time cause only this company can recommend good quality and accessible price like this Nikon d90 bundle

31. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

Both brands of camera are excellent.  Both are rapidly changing the available models.

Pick a camera that feels comfortable in your hands with controls you can easily find and use.

Personally I've been a Nikon user for 40 years but have nothing to bad to say about Canon products.  Canon seems to be the choice of sports photographers and Nikon the choice of fashion and glamour photographers.  I know of no reason for this.

Nikon was the camera of choice for professionals in the 70's but Canon improved their products substantially in the 80's.

Trust in a brand is what makes it popular.

32. World-Traveler profile image60
    World-Travelerposted 13 years ago

I don't too much about the brand that you mentioned but have used the Olympus X-920 for digital photography on my Hubpages.  I am a very satisfied customer.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4197407_f248.jpg

33. World-Traveler profile image60
    World-Travelerposted 13 years ago

I don't know too much about the brand that you mentioned but
    have used the Olympus X-920 with great success for digital photography on my Hubpages.  I am a very satisfied customer.  Your question is an excellent for writers considering a first time digital camera to supple photographs to their writing on Hubpages.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4197407_f248.jpg

34. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I use a Nikon SLR for most of the photos and videos on my hubs.  My son just bought a Canon T2i which not only makes great photos, but HD video too!  His first camera and here is the first real video he made on River Street in Savannah a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxO7XZgdUg

35. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

i would buy both and test them out.

36. shecodes profile image57
    shecodesposted 13 years ago

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that the lenses are what should be the deciding factor. I've a lot of money invested in glass. I've chosen to go with Canon, so haven't evaluated Nikon is years. Personal preference and all that.

Now smaller cameras I'll mix and match brand wise.

37. Midnight Oil profile image81
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Nikon - but I am totally in love with Nikon.  Had Nikons for over 20 years - superb cameras, well built to last and deliver the goods too.

Tried Canon, but could never get into them...

But best to go and try a few out in the shop first to see what you like the look and feel of first...

38. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I notice that the op has not responded since the post. It has turned into a discussion for hp. lol I have a Canon slr and I love it!

1. Midnight Oil profile image81
      Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's all a matter of taste...  There is nothing wrong with Canon at all, I just prefer Nikon.  I have Nikon D300 & D80 digital and the love of my life my Nikon F5, perhaps the ultimate film camera and a design classic.

But people have love affairs with their Canons too...

Yet, its not which camera you use, which is a device to record what your eye see, its the results and joy you get from them.

39. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 13 years ago

I have been using Canon for over 20 years. To date I have found it to be simple to use, hardier, and has a larger accessibility to lenses or adapters. I currently use a Minolta lens that works like a glove on my Canon. However, which brand to use remains a matter of taste. Both Nikon and Canon make very high quality equipment.

40. thewayeyeseeit profile image67
    thewayeyeseeitposted 13 years ago

I'm a Canon guy, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Nikon. This debate has been ongoing for a long time. You read somewhere that Nikon is the best outdoor camera, then you see a football game with all the Canon "cannons" taking the photos and you have to wonder. Both make incredible digital SLRs, and technology is improving all the time. And they are both pretty good at marketing, too, so they will probably be the top two for a long time.

However, the newer cameras that are smaller and mirrorless prove to be very interesting and may give the big boys a run for their money, since neither one has produced a similar product yet. Only time will tell.

1. joyfuldesigns profile image68
      joyfuldesignsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's such a hard decision to find which is the best for each person.  Really depends on their needs and budget.

I have a Nikon D5000 that I'm very happy with.

2. uner profile image61
      unerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i'm a canon guy, too

first when i started, i used Nikon. was satisfied with all the results i get as a beginner. as time passes, i upgrade to Sony Alpha and change all the lense system. experience gets better, as well as results.

then when i get better, again i upgrade the body and whole lense system to Canon.

what i can say, all these cameras done a great job. every camera will have a different characteristics, pros and cons. once you own one, you will need sometime to get familiar with these characteristics and then you will know how to use it well.

Nikon will have a saturated color but wide range of lenses selection. but some beginner's camera body will not have a motor for auto focus, therefore you will need to spend more on the lense which will come with build in motor, price will be more expensive.

sony in other hand, has less lense collection, but the result is still okay

Canon however stays in my heart for all occasions, outdoors, weddings, indoors, sports and candid shots. lense collections are as much as Nikon. the colors are purely natural unlike Nikon. but if you use RAW format, chances are you will be having quite saturated color as well. but still great.

41. pilesnoway profile image60
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

I'd go for Nikon.

Why not compare? You can look for the perks of having a Nikon and a Canon. Then compare and find out what's the best for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)