jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

does anybody make handicrafts?

1. mandarine profile image59
    mandarineposted 9 years ago

Hi.For many handcrafting is mostly a hobby.As i know, jeweleries are most famous crafts.Do you make handicrafts, maybe not professional but amateur?

1. Loni L Ice profile image80
      Loni L Iceposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Well, I'm a member of the International Costumers Guild and the Society for Creative Anachronism.  I make medieval recreation clothing, I do embroidery, and I spin, weave, knit and crochet.  I also grow a vegetable garden, a culinary herb garden, and a medicinal herb garden. In addition to all of that, I do traditional decorative painting on flower pots, mailboxes, and anything else that will hold still long enough. My husband is a carpenter and a mosaic tile artist, we occasionally work together on designs for his tile art.  I also do leatherworking, although certainly not to a professional level yet.  I'm looking into basketweaving, but I'm a rank amateur on that.  I also play the harp, Irish flute and bodhran to a professional level, though I haven't been a professional musician for about eight years now since having kids.

As for food and sleep, I work those in between the toddlers, the crafts and the writing, catch as catch can. I'm convinced that no one gets a good night's sleep until their children are eighteen, and my mother tells me that even then it gets tricky.

1. elisabeth reid profile image77
        elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Sleep?  What is this 'sleep'?  My kids are 11, 14, 15, 19 and 24...and I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in...25 years now?  I keep telling myself sleep is overrated -- and then go back to my knitting or my reading or my writing or my whatever.

Yup, that's about what I thought.  Thanks for the heads up!  (back to knitting rainbow cabled socks)

2. oryzana profile image60
          oryzanaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

i haven't got a good night's sleep too since 3 yrs.. having kids that's normal.

Yeah, that's what I discovered about the time my first was born.  I was merely wondering about after they're grown, but apparently while you can't tell them what to do anymore when they hit eighteen, you'll still be up nights.  Heck, my eighteen year old brother decided to keep me up till one am after my mother told him to grow up and quit nagging her.  Eventually, I had to tell him the same thing.

1. MrMarmalade profile image79
              MrMarmaladeposted 9 years ago in reply to this
      2. mandarine profile image59
        mandarineposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Oh my Good!You are so brave.You seems to be a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery hardworking and talented.I don't have children, but in comparison with you i am lazybones

2. oryzana profile image60
      oryzanaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

i used to make bangle and bracelet , sometimes paint a lot.

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image74
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I am a jeweller and I design it many times. Only one in a blue moon I craft it.

1. thranax profile image49
        thranaxposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Cool, is it hard to craft your designs?

1. profile image61
          johnmottposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hello I think i know someone that can do that , i mean make an handcraft. just let me know if u are ready to know him. and i will update you

2. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 9 years ago

Hmmm...Anybody there?! smile

1. thranax profile image49
      thranaxposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I don't know, are you someone?

3. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 9 years ago

I actually paint space scenes using spraypaint.  No luck selling them yet, and I have about 50 or so of them, but someday!

4. PaulieWalnuts profile image76
    PaulieWalnutsposted 8 years ago

I used to make earrings with a former girl friend. and sold them at street fairs. I was a marble sculptor too, the earrings were like mini sculptures, The artisan craft of carving marble which I learned and created sculptures with can be seen on links in my blog:
    http://pauliewalnuts-pauliewalnuts.blogspot.com/

5. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 8 years ago

Luckily as far as the sleep deprivation goes I was an insomniac before my son was born, now for the last three years I've just had a reason not to sleep as opposed to not sleeping for no better reason than not being able to tongue

Beading is the handcraft that actually "brings in the bacon", I also do a number of needlecrafts, sewing, sculpting and caning in polymer clay and crocheting. I used to dabble a bit in oil paints but that just got to be too time-consuming and took more space than I had available so I traded it in for things I'm a bit more of a natural at. However, within the next couple of years my handcrafting will undoubtedly be dropping off significantly as I have plans to turn my tropical fish operation into a full-blown wholesale/retail operation big_smile

6. thranax profile image49
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

One of my cousins had a table at a craft show and asked me if I had anything to add to it (they had extra space) So I made felt ghosts with some candy in them, some little pine cone configurations, and I think some wooden snowmen and sold almost the whole stock. Made about $135 for 6 hours of working and after taking out making costs. Too bad its a one time thing smile

7. Veronica Bright profile image61
    Veronica Brightposted 8 years ago

I do, and my best friend does.  We both crochet, only she is better at it.  I also make fleece blankets and "dammit dolls"

working