jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

portrait drwaing

1. lilidep2 profile image60
    lilidep2posted 5 years ago

Have someone ever give you a portrait of your self as a gift?How would you feel if someones does that?

1. Dave Harris profile image88
      Dave Harrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, but I have drawn a self portrait and portrait of my better half  for our mother's and other members of my family and they've loved them, it's a unique gift at least.

2. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No one has, but I would love receiving such a gift.

3. 59
      stoneyyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, but good or bad, I'd be delighted.  Why?  Because the person put time and effort into a work rather than just spending money.

2. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

That sounds like a very special gift, lilidep.

3. Aya Katz profile image89
    Aya Katzposted 5 years ago

It depends on how good the portrait is and whether it is flattering or unflattering. It's a tricky thing sometimes, especially when the giver is the artist. Feelings can get hurt. The receiver may be hurt at how he or she is portrayed. The giver may be hurt when his or her masterpiece is rejected or criticized.

4. Art 4 Life profile image60
    Art 4 Lifeposted 5 years ago

To receive a portrait of one's self from an artist, is a special gift...it's giving of ones time and self to someone else, so should be thought of as a rare gift...very special

1. Dave Harris profile image88
      Dave Harrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with that Art 4 Life, well said.

5. VanReiley profile image61
    VanReileyposted 5 years ago

I might not have had a portrait given to me as a gift but I have had experience in giving portraits I have hand crafted myself, including two I have to do right now. People seem very happy when they recieve a portrait from me. They love the fact that I spend my time to draw them as people. Maybe it's an ego-boost or something but quite a lot of people, especially the artistic people tend to admire a fellow artist who can draw a GOOD portrait of them. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've done a couple of portraits of other people and given them to someone the subjects mean a lot to.  I don't really see how there could be any awkwardness with that (other than if the person you give the portrait to doesn't think it's as good a portrait as you, the artist, do). 

Self portraits?  They not for me.  I'd feel too egotistical to draw myself and then give it to someone else.  lol    This isn't intended to offend anyone here (only an honest take on self-portraits from one person whose take may be weird anyway):  If someone gave me a portrait he did of himself I'd think he's more egotistical than I am (because of what I just said about how I feel about self-portraits).  So, for me, it would kind of be a "points off" situation.

I don't know...   A nice frame photograph of oneself doesn't take a lot of time in the actual making of the photo.  I picture someone drawing his own self-portrait, spending hours diligently working and thinking, "Oh boy, will 'Fred' ever be happy to get this picture of ME drawn by none other than ME.  I don't know...   There's a lot of presuming that 'Fred' a) will be that delighted with a portrait of ME  lol AND that he'll also be delighted that I spent all that time drawing ME.  Somehow, to me, if someone wants to do a self-portrait (artists do it all that time) there's something kind of nice about keeping it  in his collection, to himself, or else otherwise using it a way that doesn't "place the burden of how well it's received" into the hands of an essentially unwitting person.

I guess I'd think differently if "Fred" said, "Hey, since you do portraits, would you mind doing one of yourself that I could have?"    (Of course, this is coming from the person who is using an Earth for an avatar instead of her own face because of what's probably not the healthiest attitude about ego and calling attention to oneself.  hmm )

1. 59
        stoneyyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The advantage of using yourself for practice is the model is always available.  wink