jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How important is art in an interior design scheme?

1. June McEwan profile image60
    June McEwanposted 5 years ago

A home interior needs to be comfortable to live within. It must evolve from the person who is to live there, not be imposed. One should always be looking forward to being there. any work of art should be chosen by that person. Ideally, they should live a while with it before buying. Art is for life...not just for Christmas!

2. 0
    Neville Walkposted 5 years ago

I don't think art should be bought to go with any interior.  Art should be for art's sake.  An interior designer does not have an understanding of the kind of art their client really likes.  They are for people who do not have any taste of their own, but have plenty of money with which to buy it.  They are often the sort of people who will purchase a dog, because it goes with the carpet.  Art has to be appreciated by the homeowner, and therefore bought by them.

3. madeleines profile image61
    madeleinesposted 4 years ago via iphone

Sometimes we pick art just for accessorizing, not because the client has an interest of art. If they have, we need to build a home arround art, kinda like you said. It's a bit complicated, but sometimes you just need something on the walls that fits in, and you can easily pick a beautiful photo or painting just because it matches the interior and because you need it so badly to complete the look.

4. Azure11 profile image88
    Azure11posted 4 years ago

I think it can work both ways. If you have a client that is interested in art and may already have some pieces then either you create the look that complements the art or you create a room that would sit in harmony with the art but works in it's own right. However, I have worked for a few interior designers producing what you might term decorative art that finishes off a design really well and matches in with the furnishings. Sometimes this is what people need (or want) as a full interior design service so it really depends on the feeling of the client.

5. seamonster profile image60
    seamonsterposted 4 years ago

I love decorating as art, but art for art sake is superior.