jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Logos with a Ton of Red

1. tritrain profile image77
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

I was looking at logos recently and wondered if many logo designers avoid red because it looks too much like a stop sign. 

They say that "orange is the new black".  I think of Home Depot signs.

Maybe that is a good thing for the Marriot.  Stop here and stay a while...

2. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

Many logo designers avoid red because many people associate it with danger or something to be careful of.

Also red is the worst color to get right in logos. Red tends to bleed into the other parts and comes out worst looking than other colors.

I can only get a logo in red to look good in .png format. hmm

3. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

McDonalds uses red and yellow, 2 colours humans associate with danger.. we have evolved to be wary of them because of poisonous animals such as bees, wasps, snakes..

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Red and yellow are colors we associate with hunger. That's why McD's chose those colors.
      Just as green is a "peaceful" feeling so Hospitals paint thier walls green.
      Just as autistic clinics and PreK's paint thier walls orange because it evokes creativity

1. Zabbella profile image77
        Zabbellaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

An excellent point. there were studies on that.

4. SammySammo profile image74
    SammySammoposted 5 years ago

Red is also one of the hardest colors to read.  Companies that want to make you hungry will probably use orange, which is associated with hunger.  Places like doctors offices where they want you to feel calm will probably use pink.  Color association is so interesting.

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sammy that's not true... see my post above.. You're right in theory, but your colors are incorrect.