Acrylics or Oils?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (32 posts)
  1. RockerGinger profile image68
    RockerGingerposted 12 years ago

Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      kikkibabesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Acrylics they are much better x

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
        Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're compairing apples and oranges. Both have their advantages and drawbacks.

2. unemployedlearner profile image61
      unemployedlearnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like both but oils are my fav.  I like the fact that if I do not like my tree, or clouds, I can take them off, with long drying time, it's a snap.
      The disadvantage is the thinner, it is difficult to separate the clean from the dirty, you have to wait til it settles in the bottom of the container, then drain the clean off the top.

1. fizgiggery profile image57
        fizgiggeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried water-based (water-miscible) oil paints? The drawback is there isn't as wide a selection of colours, and another possible drawback (or not) is that the drying time is a lot quicker.  But you don't have to use turps to clean!  Just good ole fashioned soap and water smile

3. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I glaze a lot and find that oils give a richer set of layers. But acrylics offer speed and glazing with the new mediums. Both are fine with me, if I have the space for the oils to dry.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

I'd say that acrylics are easier to work with but oils allow a much larger range of textures.  I work with both.

3. profile image51
    gulshan15posted 12 years ago

love

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

Acrylics for a plethora of reasons. It used to be a no brainier in that oils were the choice of Art only because Acrylics could not match the vibrant colors offered by oils. But now-a days, acrylics can match the vibrancy and offer so much more such as gels, textures, and mixes. The quicker drying times are a plus and can be held under control by using a wet palate so there isn't much waste.

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Always preferred oils for aesthetic reasons.
    Liked the smell for one.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Acrylics are easier to work with, yet  Oils can take it to another level

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I use acrylics because they dry faster and are easier to work with.Oil have the texture and depth to them but you must be the patient type to use them..

7. Marko Radulovic profile image59
    Marko Radulovicposted 12 years ago

Hi there.

Acrylics are a fast drying medium (the carrier for the pigment is, essentially, plastic). Depending on the kind of work, this may or may not be ideal. I've seen some artists do wonderful things in acrylic.

Oils, on the other hand, are called that because the pigment is carried in an oil binder, usually some combination of safflower and linseed oil. These sorts of paints dry a LOT slower, which can prove to your advantage if you want to achieve a "wet-into-wet" effect in your painting.

The slow-drying of oils can even be modified based on other mediums mixed into the oil before it is administered to your surface. Liquin, for example, produced by Winsor & Newton, is a plasticky quick drying medium. Cobalt drier is used for the opposite effect (it is, however, very toxic and must be used with care. I don't use it, personally).

You can actually paint on top of dry acrylic (don't mix oil and acrylic when they're wet). Don't try to paint acrylic paints over dry oils, however. This would multiple the cost for your paints, however.

Personally, I use oils. Quality paint will be expensive regardless of medium, because the pigment will be made of the same material - cadmium red will still be made of baked cadmium.

Yes don’t put acrylic over oils, a waste, nice combination though at times

1. WD Curry 111 profile image56
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Acrylics are polymers. The pigment is not suspended (as in oils or latex) in the top brands, it is part of the molecular structure.

8. profile image0
    Seph Dublinposted 12 years ago

I like both yet I must say that I’m a huge fan of oils. Oil paints are slower drying than other varieties of paint because they are made of small particles of pigment that are suspended in a drying oil.
    But I love how it’s capacity to create luminous colours that are hardwearing. It can also be left open for long periods of time. And I’m just so astounded every time I notice its wonderful result when blended on canvas. Awesome!
    Nevertheless, I guess it’s the spirit and love you put while working your artwork regardless of the material you are using. It’s like the genuine beauty that will blaze whether or not you are using acrylics/oils.

True enough, any material

I built most my career from just sandsculpture and snowsculpture,
      Who would have thought that?

1. profile image0
        Seph Dublinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wonderful

9. profile image0
    Jacqui Julyanposted 12 years ago

The last time I used oils was at college because there was the space and it didn't matter much about the mess I loved them!  I don't use them at home because it's busy with animals and children but I miss them!  I used some acrylics yesterday and it was fun but dries too quickly.  I like oils because you can come back the next day and move the paint around.

10. mandypoole profile image59
    mandypooleposted 12 years ago

I agree, Oils are versatile and I like the range of textures and effects you can create with them- but they take ages to dry. Acrylics dry  a lot quicker which is a bonus.

11. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I prefer acrylics any day!  Oils can be beautiful to look at, but such a pain to work with.  For me, it's just not worth it.

12. Jennuhlee profile image60
    Jennuhleeposted 12 years ago

acrylics fo sho!

13. belowthewillow profile image61
    belowthewillowposted 12 years ago

I'm more of an oil kinda gal.  It dries slower so it's easier to go back into after I've started and make corrections/changes.

14. LorenAyBe profile image62
    LorenAyBeposted 12 years ago

depends for what you want it. Acrilic is easier to manipulate. Oil looks better.

15. moor maiden profile image59
    moor maidenposted 12 years ago

I prefer oils, the pigments are far better. I had to paint in acrylics for some scenery painting in the attraction where I worked. I couldn't get to grips with how fast they dried. I would spend some time getting the mix right, do a bit of painting with it, go on to something else. when i went back to use the mix and it was dry! i like how oils take so long to dry, if you change your mind about a mixture all you have to do is scrape it off. i find that if you paint over dry paint your new mixture uses its radiance- the colour sinks.

16. diydiva profile image73
    diydivaposted 12 years ago

I've only ever used acrylics and just recently started using real acrylics and found them to be amazing.  They really make my paintings turn out the way I want them.  I have considered oils but they seem like they would be much harder to work with.

17. WD Curry 111 profile image56
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

I like oils for blending, but I'm allergic to turpentine (pine). I use acrylics in all my mural work and most of my paintings. Oils almost always crack in time. There are exceptions, and that is where the science of oil painting comes in. Acrylics don't mud out and they will last a long time. Maybe even until the end of the world.

18. starstream profile image43
    starstreamposted 12 years ago

I have tried watercolors, acrylics, and oils.  Mostly, I prefer the oils because I like the texture, thickness of the paint.  Mixing colors is really fun too.

19. Owl Ka Myst profile image62
    Owl Ka Mystposted 12 years ago

I like both for different reasons and for the different looks they offer.
    The medium a painter uses is dependent upon the desired end result and what you have to do to get that  result.
    I have used both as well as watercolor. I paint more with watercolor because of what I can do with them that cannot be done with oils or acrylics.

20. geoffco23 profile image79
    geoffco23posted 12 years ago

Pick one. Stick with it. Both have pros and cons. You can waste a lot of time in the technique hole.

21. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Different mediums achieve different effects - oils the colors have a different depth of color, acrylics dry faster allowing you to work on the same area faster.

22. penofone profile image45
    penofoneposted 12 years ago

Acrylics tend to stay dry in a part of the tube or bottle they are in, so its wise to separate colors first before painting... If you are a beginner learning acrylics can be easy and fun although they are willing to ease the thinner as used in oils. They don't compartmentalize what you can do in acrylics, a wide range of subjects may work.  Oils on the other hand to to ooze out the tube without enough oil basically.  It is not the fact you have to mix oils, it is the quantity of mixing and basic argument that oils are of a post-modern era. It is opposite of what acrylic painters like about acrylics the most. They are fast drying and adhere to a sketch better as I have described.

Anish(B.B.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)