What's the finest piece of artwork, literature or otherwise,ever made?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Johnathan L Groom profile image37
    Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5288473_f248.jpg
    Picasso's pencil drawings are a ranking thought.  War and Peace is another.  Maybe DaVinci's sculptures, or the Sistine Chapel, or Michaelangelo's statues...?

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

To be able to even think that there is only one 'top' piece of work requires a very narrow 'width' of understanding.  Every different piece of quality work has its own special 'thing' that makes it a quality piece of work.

The current fashion for finding the best of, or the top, is a societal sign of closing minds.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stop it, Panda! You know very well that I am the finest piece of artwork that has ever been made! yikes

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know very well that being a 'piece of work' is nothing to do with art big_smile
        However, an object of beauty is not necessarily an art object until you move !

2. Johnathan L Groom profile image37
      Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, this is freakin' awesome lol!!! Those are the most creative answers I think I've heard in response to any question I've asked!!! lol Keep going- you may cause spontaneous combustion of my brain (which was, formerly and previously, responsible for asking the silly question in the first place!)  Thanks guys lol!!!!!  Thank you!
      -johnathan-

p.s.  the finest work of art is mother earth smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In reply to this, another unforgettable "moment" was walking through Artists' Wood near Betws-y-Coed in North Wales on a drizzly day when no one else was around. Suddenly, a wood anemone caught my attention, and I found it contained the whole Universe...

and no, I had not been hunting magic mushrooms or indulging in any other forbidden substances earlier smile

A special moment in North Wales !!  - boyo, you must be awesomely imaginative LOL  The idea of living there is my personal idea of hell  sad

I am not Welsh, but moved to Treorci in the Rhondda three years ago. Wales has adopted me and for the first time in my life I find myself at home. I feel deep emotion to the land and the more I immerse myself in its language and culture, the richer I become. My only regret is that I did not move to a region in mid- or north Wales, where Welsh is more used on a daily basis. I know it rains a lot here; it is difficult to become accepted by locals; the economy has been suffocated by England. Nevertheless, I would not choose to live anywhere else now.

I am happy for you that you have found a home smile

In my case I found Wales to be stifling and more backward than most third world countries, most foreigners learning Welsh were there to take advantage of the more lax Civil Service rules for Welsh speakers that means that they were more incompetent than usual - and the bl@@dy rain !

I do agree that they have been almost totally crushed out of existence by England - and that the current state of the people is due mostly to that.  On a personal level I found the Welsh to be either lovely straight forward upstanding indiviuals, or totally shameless backstabbing bast@ards big_smile

I like Mr. Panda...

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I believe there are many great artists - why, some of them are right here on HubPages.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

One definition I would use of great art is that it speaks directly to the soul, causing a shift in perception that may last a moment or a lifetime.

The type of work that will do this will vary from person to person. For me, this happens mostly with music. One very powerful personal example, (powerful because it was one of the earliest of such experiences in my life, occurring more than 40 years ago when I was 15, but never forgotten):

Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, in particular, the moment in the Credo when the soprano soloist starts the "et incarnatus est...", and a solo flute makes its entry.

5. Johnathan L Groom profile image37

Are you single lol?  Well-put and excellent answer!!!  I like this thread so far...
    -johnathan-

I am single now. The man I loved deeply found himself unable to cope with several life traumas and decided to drink himself to death shortly after we were finally able to set up home together. He died last June after putting me through 2.5 years of hell.

oh that's terrible!  sorry... well, if u're ever nearby, let me know- dinner on me smile
        -johnathan-

6. Johnathan L Groom profile image37

*maybe the mushrooms were in your pocket lol-  it's funny how nature is art in itself!
    -johnathan-

7. Johnathan L Groom profile image37

I was born in Lakenheath, but have live in the U.S. since I was a child

8. Johnathan L Groom profile image37

*lived, sorry

9. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Da Vinci sculptures?
    I don't know of any, though he did work of a couple of horses that were never completed.
    Someone in the last few years did complete one from his design.
    What are the others?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)