New T.S. Eliot

1. Aramis Ammonra profile image60
    Aramis Ammonraposted 8 years ago

I wonder if we could ever have another T.S. Eliot. Poetry now seems to be getting more uninteresting and irrelevant. A modern Franch symbolists, perhaps, could reinvent poetry for this generation.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

One T.S. Eliot is enough for me. I don't think annotations should be required to understand a poem, and I found Eliot's outlook on life and the modern world a bit too pessimistic, not to mention his anti-Semitism. Pound and Eliot led poetry down a blind alley in my opinion. That's not to say that Eliot didn't write some great poems. "The Lovesong of J.Alfred Prufrock" is truly a great American poem although it was written in England.

I prefer Whitman's free flowing optimism and democratic instincts to Eliot's and Pound's pessimism and elitism. "When Lilac's Last in the Dooryard Bloomed" may be the best American poem. Other American poets I like are Karl Shapiro and Allen Ginzburg. I also like Wallace Stevens, Stephen Crane, Robert Frost and Hart Crane. To move away from America, Pablo Neruda, William H. Audin, Y.B. Yeats and Dylan Thomas are also among my favorites. (There are lots of others, just not Eliot or Ezra Pound, although Pound was my mother's maiden name.) Oh, I forgot to mention Federico Garcia Lorca whose Andalusian poems are gems.