jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

In hand knitting - what is Ridge Stich?

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I've ordered a pattern for a cardigan for my baby niece because it looked really lovely and I wanted to have a go. I haven't received the pattern yet, but in case it doesn't have very good instructions can anyone tell me what the basics of Ridge Stitch are and if it's difficult? I'm not a beginner knitter, but I wouldn't class myself as expert either and I'm sure it's the first time I've heard of Ridge Stitch.

2. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

If you get stuck on this one I will try to dig out a book I have on knitting 'pattern' stitches.

Long time since I followed a pattern, from memory I think it may simply be made up of stocking stitch and garter stitch. Not sure what they are called in other countries (I am from the UK)- I mean a pattern that is made of just knit and purl rows.

Seeker7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi 2uesday,

I'm from the UK as well and I thought I was familiar with most of the North American terms for the different stitches and patterns, but this is one I can't recall at all.

Many thanks for your offer of help will take you up on that if I need the help.

3. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 5 years ago

Search Google/Bing or go to this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXJdCwV … re=related

1. Aficionada profile image95
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's a very nice video.  Clear, easy to understand, nice close-up.  And the stitch looks really simple to do.

Hi Aficionada, That's exactly what I need! Good close up shots to see exactly what they are doing. Many thanks!!

2. Seeker7 profile image95

Hi ComfortB,

Many thanks for the link will certainly have a look at this.

4. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

The video looks really good,it is nice to be able to pause and replay the stitch method until you can see how it is worked.Great idea.

I agree with this. I have a lot of good knitting books, but sometimes the photos are a bit difficult to interepret. At least with the video you see the stitch actually being made and can then go back to replay.

5. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 5 years ago

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help.

working