jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

What medium do you prefer most (Painting)

1. GoldenBird profile image61
    GoldenBirdposted 4 years ago

Oil, Acrylic, Pastels, Water-color...

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
      Earl S. Wynnposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I prefer Acrylics-- they're cheaper and work better for me as a pyrographer. (I paint on wood that I've etched lines into with a soldering iron.)

2. 0
    JinnyMarteposted 4 years ago

Well I love oil but lately I have been painting on site at many art fairs and I have found that acrylics dry faster and allow me to finish on time for the people to be able to take the painting with them. So I basically use oil to paint while at home and acrylics to paint away from home. But I love both! They are smooth and versatile and so easy to blend and play with.

GoldenBirdposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi!  Thanks for the answer smile  I also find oil-paints to be somewhat time-consuming, as they take months to dry up. Acrylics are faster.

3. 0
    twodawgsposted 4 years ago

Carved/tooled leather, colored mostly with spirit dyes, and occasionally acrylic and latex paints.

4. ArtzGirl profile image83
    ArtzGirlposted 4 years ago

I love to paint in watercolor because I love how that particular medium is fluid, creates spontaneous chemical reactions which you really can't control 100%.  The first thing that attracted me to that medium was a book using transparent watercolor and allowing the paint to create blooms when painted into wet-on-wet mixtures.

It is fun!  You never know what will turn out--
    There is an element of excitement and adventure that you have with watercolor that I've not found in many other painting mediums!

GoldenBirdposted 4 years ago in reply to this

True smile  I think it (watercolor) has its own dynamism.

1. 0
        JinnyMarteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Watercolor is something that has always called my attention but I have not yet tried...

5. ArtzGirl profile image83
    ArtzGirlposted 4 years ago

I love how brilliant the watercolors go on, when they are first painted onto the watercolor paper.  However, sometimes it is disappointing to see the colors fade as they dry.  For this reason, I sometimes like to glaze a watercolor painting with some acrylic paints-- or to add pastel to "lift" certain colors back to the same brilliance they were when I first painted them into the wet-into-wet mixture.

6. Owl Ka Myst profile image60
    Owl Ka Mystposted 4 years ago via iphone

I love to paint period. I do many artistic things but painting is my favorite. I love watercolors! And have used acrylics and oil as well. But watercolor has a way about it that is truly magical.

7. Cara.R profile image81
    Cara.Rposted 4 years ago

I enjoy acrylic paint when painting. I have tried oil but I am impatient and dislike paint thinner. I do miss the look of oil but I like the ability to rework a painting with acrylics; and not have to wait for it to dry like oil or  have a blow dryer in my hand. When I get into a painting I have to keep going and get it out of my system and oil paints slow me down.

8. 61
    Vladi Dorfmanposted 4 years ago

Acrylics. I don't control water colors well enough to like it and I never tried painting with oil colors.
    Acrylics is just a lot of fun, easy to experiment with to see what you like and what you don't like smile

9. landscapeartist profile image84
    landscapeartistposted 4 years ago

I love acrylics as they dry faster. But, oils are just as awesome to work with. They blend better than acrylics but it does take longer to dry.  If your not pressed for time than oil is sometimes the better choice.

10. Matt in Jax profile image81
    Matt in Jaxposted 4 years ago

If oils would dry faster, I would definitely use them moreso. So I prefer acrylics so I can layer a lot faster and stack my colors more efficiently.