jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Christmas Cards! Just Recycle Or Any Other Ideas?

1. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 4 years ago

Apart from re-cycling your Christmas Cards, does anyone have alternative ideas on how to use them - for example in crafts? Or is there any organistions that they can be donated to for a good cause etc? Just looking through many of my cards from this year, they are so beatiful and the quality of the card is very good. It seems a shame just to dump them in the recycling bin.

1. 0
      Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If there are parts of the cards which can be cut out, they can be used next year as gift tags.

Seeker7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

What a great idea, I didn't think of that. And it's interesting you should mention gift tags, as I always forget to buy them!

2. phdast7 profile image82
      phdast7posted 4 years ago in reply to this

(1)  Some schools, hospitals, orphanages, shelters might want them to use in arts and crafts projects for the students/children,  Just ask around.   (2) some designs, cut out of course, might be perfect for decopaging on an item.  (3)   Many of the cards can be matted and framed (5 by 7 or 8 by 10 format) and given as gifts next year.  I have done this several times with cards that were too beautiful to throw away - one caveat - you have to be careful and make sure that next year you don't give somebody a framed copy of the card they sent you this year.   smile

P.S.   It probably goes without saying, but the best and least expensive way to get great prints.art on your walls,  is to buy quality calendars (at bookstores, stationary shops,etc.) at half price after Christmas and then frame the pages you like.   I have done this with calendars about lighthouses, ocean scenes, flowers, , Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Rousseau, and many others over the years.

Many thanks phdast7, I will certainly ask the local schools and shelters as I have seen them doing quite a lot  of craft work in the past. And one of my nieces has actually just started scrapbooking - I just found this out about 15 minutes ago - so it looks like many of the cards will be getting used up.

LOL! It would be just like me to send re-send a card that I had already received - I've taken note of your warning and will keep a close check on what cards came from where!

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

I just recycled them as they came through the door. I stopped sending Xmas cards about five years ago, because I think they are a waste of space. I keep hoping people will get the message and stop sending them to me, but am still waiting.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image86
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

I keep the ones that mean the most to me from year to year.  Then each Christmas season I sift through them for the memories.  With picture cards, it becomes an unorganized way of watching my family and friends' children grow up complete with weddings and new babies.  This is not a big project.  I just throw them in a gift box and it's one of my presents to myself each year.

Hi WriteAngled and Kathleen,

I tend to keep the bigger Christmas cards given to me by family and close friends - and yes they are great for bringing so many memories back. It's amazing how many cards you can collect over the years and I just love adding to my collection.

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

You can donate them to nursing homes. Many facilities use them for art projects during the holidays. Preschoolers like to practice their cutting skills with cards and make their own projects.