jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do with Half-Price Calendars?

1. phdast7 profile image82
    phdast7posted 4 years ago

It used to be that calendars went on sale for half-price (or even less) around June or July...but what's the point as the year is half over?    However, I absolutely love fine art, beautiful photographs, nature scenes, but can't afford to buy original pieces.   However, I have covered the walls in my home, my office, and given many gifts of incredibly beautiful, but inexpensive artwork.

I buy classy, but out of date calendars on sunsets, lighthouses, old maps, flowers, ocean scenes, rivers, select the pages I like the best and frame them.   I also buy calendars on Monet, Van Gogh, Rousseau, Manet, Gustave Klimt, and so forth.   If money is really tight, go to the local Good Will, Thrift Shop, Salvation Army and for 15-25% of the original price you can pick up good frames and mats. I still have pages left. What else can I do?   Thanks.

1. bulldogmama profile image60
      bulldogmamaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You could use the pages for scrap-booking, either as the main background page or by cutting parts of the calendar pictures to decorate the pages.

You could cut the calendar pages up to decorate hand-made greeting cards.

2. NatalieSack profile image62
      NatalieSackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have framed all twelve pictures of outdated calendars using inexpensive dollar store frames.  Since calendars have a theme it makes for a cohesive grouping, and twelve pics hung in one place make a strong decorative impact.

2. phdast7 profile image82
    phdast7posted 4 years ago

I forgot to mention, calendars  are now steeply discounted the week after Christmas.  Check out Barnes and Noble or your favorite bookstore.

3. modgirlok profile image60
    modgirlokposted 4 years ago

Save the best images and frame them, for sure.

1. 0
      Longhunterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Old calendars can great reference material for illustrators. I've got some boxes of old photos for future reference and some of them are old calendars.