Is etsy worth joining?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ryannaylor profile image60
    ryannaylorposted 12 years ago

What would you say are the pros and cons of etsy? Do a lot of actual shoppers go there or is it mainly artists selling to other artists?

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People I know who sell baby things seem to do very well.  Anything handmade for kids.  I whipped up about 20 knit Christmas stockings about 3 weeks before Christmas and sold 8 of them.  After I listed them, I did a search on the site for Christmas stockings and they showed more than 52,000 - I kid you not.  I freaked out thinking no one would ever find mine so I think selling 8 was pretty good considering how many were on there.

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that one can get lost in the vastness of eTsy,  but The opportunity is there as well. I have an eTsy store for my jewelry.   
      Bling by Holly B.       
      success is slow, I just keep working it smile I think it will be worth it.

My customers have not been other artists per se, and they have been from all over the US.

3. burrell1975 profile image60
      burrell1975posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it's mainly alot of artists selling to other artists but the public does come and check it out as well & enter this cash sweepstakes for a chance to win $40,000 just click the link to enter, it's free to enter, Good Luck http://www.moolpit.com//?vcode=8AB1A52F058358B  & get your friends and family to enter to if you like

2. ryannaylor profile image60
    ryannaylorposted 12 years ago

That is good, to sell 8 with over 52k listed. Why do you think yours sold?

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really don't know.  I'd like to believe it was because I'm so talented but it's probably just the odds.  I don't know how many were sold from the entire site.  I do make them really different.  Try to see what's out there then make something that's out of the norm.  There's always the chance no one will 'get' my creativity but in this case someone did.  I get really crazy because I'll always make so many of something then expect everyone to just come out and buy everything I made.  There's just soooooo much competition! For everything!

I do know this much (I think).  I always make sure my pictures are really clear, close ups and full shots, and I always give full descriptions of everything I list including colors, dimensions, fabric content, embellishments, washing instructions if applicable, etc.  I know I appreciate that when I'm looking to buy.  Too many listers talk about how cute or wonderful an item is but really don't tell anything about it.

Have you ever worked with Yardsellr?  I just tried something on their.  The sites a little rough but we'll see.

3. brittanytodd profile image88
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

The Hub of the Day was about this topic a couple of days ago.  You can log out and go to the homepage to see it.

4. dappledesigns profile image71
    dappledesignsposted 12 years ago

I have been selling photos on etsy for a few years now, and I recommend the site. It's a popular site - so each category is heavily saturated with products that are posted every minute. So it's not as easy as just posting your product and waiting for it to sell. Just like anything else, you need to put a lot of work into it - market your products like crazy and spend numerous hours networking.

Honestly - I wrote a few hubs on here about photography, posted some of my own photos with it, linked them back to etsy and saw my sales increase.

A few things that I have learned:
    1. spend time in the community forums, offer quality information and answers and learn from others that have been successful.

2. Don't expect to become a millionaire.

3. Live up to what you say you are going to do - print images on the paper that you promised - sign the photos if you said you were going to and ship the products on time. Feedback is everything, and it is way too easy to give negative feedback. Be a good seller.

4. Remember that sellers and buyers both have profiles in etsy - so when you are in forums you could very well be talking to a buyer. I have found that there a lot of sellers that participate in the forums, and purchase from sellers that they have communicated with without a sale involved.

5. Have fun - Etsy is priced very low (.20 cents per listing for 3 months with 5 images available) so you can post some products and see how they sell. You can edit the listings as much as you want once you figure out what is working.

6. Use all of your keywords - there are 14 spots available, use them all. Tag correctly, use appropriate keywords, and think like a buyer. If you as a buyer type in photography and get a necklace, you will most likely get frustrated and leave.

1. Robie Benve profile image95
      Robie Benveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a very interesting thread, Etsy seems to be so popular that I was wondering if products get lost in the ocean of items posted.
      Thank you dappledesigns for your insights and everyone else for true user feedback.
      This is very useful to know for people like me that has not joined yet, but is on the edge of making a decision.

5. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I've been selling vintage jewellery, clothes & accessories on Etsy for three years now and have made over 370 sales. I haven't made loadsa money by any means, but I really like the fact that it's so cheap to list there.

eBay gives you better exposure but listing fees are much more expensive & not worth it unless you can be certain that your item will sell via auction for a decent profit.

6. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

i have two etsy shops. One is photography only and the other offers vintage, artwork,supplies and handmade jewelry.
    You have to spend time promoting to get some attention.
    Some months sell well and others are dead. Handmade clothing, seems to sell well.

7. GDiBiase profile image68
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

I have two stores on Etsy also I sell jewelry I have made and shabby chic home decor. I have found its a hit or miss, I sole alot of Jewelry last Christmas, but minimal so far this year. You have to be constantly promoting store to be successful, at least that's been my experience.

8. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

I have a friend who sells jewelry on Etsy, and she does quite well.  She sells things all over the country...

9. profile image53
    BMJayposted 11 years ago

I have just joined Etsy, and was wondering by you all, if photos sell well of say insects, birds, nature ? and does the site send the items, or do we?. For if we do, it would cost a fare bit to say frame up a photo and send it, also there is the chance of it being damaged in transit. Or would it be better just to sell the print via say email to them. I feel somewhat confused about the site, and i don't want to become rich, but more be able to sell photos so i can save to get better lenses etc... For i have been laid off work due to health reason, so need to make a few dollars. I only have my photos to sell, for i'm not an arts/crafts person. Please share your adice. Oh and lastly, i see alot of you say "you have to send links and do alot of marketing etc..." Where are places to do this, i know of facebook and flickr, but i don't have many people on them i know. So for me to get the word out would be hard. Please help, for you have been on there for abit, and have sold before, thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)