jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Architecture - Is Ugly the New Beautiful?

1. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

To my eyes, it seems that most modern buildings are designed to be as ugly as possible.  Looking at the Scottish parliament building, I am struck by how unpleasant it is to the eye, and how at odds with the beauty of historic Edinburgh.  I wonder though if I am looking at modern architecture incorrectly, and if  the ugly is now to be considered beautiful. 

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

OMG, that is one ugly building!

2. lizzieBoo profile image78
      lizzieBooposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Scots hired an architect from hot, dry Madrid to design this building. So in the heart of Edinburgh, right next to the castle and 'Arthur's Seat', in one of the rainiest climes in Europe, in a shady valley, sits this concrete excuse of a building which has the visual appeal of a crumpled newspaper. It even has (I kid you not) strips of bamboo adorning the outer walls.

1. 0
        Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The building was supposed to express all that the Scots have to be proud of, their history, and having their own parliament again after hundreds of years.  And Edinburgh is known as the Athens of the north, because of its fine classical architecture.  So, it does seem odd that an architect from Madrid was the designer, who obviously had no idea of what Edinburgh is or of Scottish culture.  To plonk such a monster in the heart of an historic beautiful city is a crime, the Scottish MPs should be embarrassed about..  I hate to think what the Palace of Westminster would look like, if it were being designed today.

1. lizzieBoo profile image78
          lizzieBooposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My husband, who is Scottish, is deeply offended by it. Architecture is one of the best representatives of the thoughts and feeling of a generation, in my view, and in particular, the view that politicians have of their voters. You cannot fake it. That's why modern churches, like those 1970's ones, cannot fake the faith they lack. They have 'lapsed Catholic' written all over them.
          The palace of Westminster is inspired by people of faith and passion. They couldn't have achieved it otherwise.
          The Victorians, in contrast to us now, could not seem to build without making a thing beautiful. Railway stations, factories, even prisons reflected a view of mankind that makes your heart leap today.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

I agree. If it were ever to be bombed (heaven forbid) no one would know the difference.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

I agree - that is one ugly building.

It is also quite interesting.  Maybe that was the point.

4. rob_allen profile image88
    rob_allenposted 4 years ago

yes.that is an ugly building but I guess they are trying to make a point. I dont think ugly is the new pretty. I think, "weird is the new pretty".

5. 0
    Muldaniaposted 4 years ago

The Scottish parliament has been voted the fourth most ugly building in the UK.  My home city of Birmingham has won first place for having the ugliest building, that owned by Selfridges.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Is it made of recycled tins?
      I first thought it might be a vehicle or a deflating dirigible.

1. 0
        Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually, it is thought locally to resemble old fashioned milk bottle tops.  And it is next to the mediaeval church of St. Martin, which has been at the heart of Birmingham for hundreds of years, which I think was particularly bad of the architect.

6. Cassie Smith profile image74
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

I blame Le Corbusier.  He started it all.  I think his stuff is such crap.

7. SinghRajput profile image61
    SinghRajputposted 4 years ago

Art faded in race of attraction & appreciation

8. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

There are parts of the interior that I find interesting and attractive from the photos I have seen of it.

This is a picture of a foyer in the building...

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/ … h_rmjm.jpg