jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Flamenco Dancer Instructor Required!

1. 60
    flamenco.dancerposted 7 years ago

Could anyone recommend a good Flamenco school in London? Classes & accommodation seem to work out very expensive. Any advise? ...

1. Paraglider profile image90
      Paragliderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if it is still there, but go to Hanway Street (the back street that connects Tottenham Ct Rd East to Oxford St North. There's a tiny basement club called Sevilla Mia. Don't go before 10 p.m.  It's a hangout for real Flamencos, not tourists. If you're interested in learning, you'll be welcome. There's a notice board with cards of dance, song and guitar teachers. If it has closed, there's a far bigger place just across the road, but more touristy.  If you get a chance to listen to Manuel de Huelva singing - listen hard, he's the best.

2. 59
    isabella2015posted 7 years ago

I'm a bit confused....are you looking for a residential school? Or a school which you could attend every day for, say, a week?

Most dance schools run classes weekly, rather than daily, and London is a very expensive city.

The best flamenco school in London is probably Betty Cid http://www.bettycid.com I've seen one of their teachers in action, and have been taught by her briefly. Their Christmas courses seem pretty reasonable for what you get (I am judging by the cost of intensive salsa courses local to me, around 60GBP for 4 hours tuition).

Good luck in your search

3. 59
    Doris Luceroposted 7 years ago

You don't have to go to a flamenco school, just watch some videos and learn !!!!