jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Acrilycs Vs. water soluble Oils

1. Robie Benve profile image93
    Robie Benveposted 4 years ago

I've been using acrylics and I love them, but my curiosity for water soluble oils is growing daily. Should I make the jump and invest in new tubes? Any knowledge, please share.  smile

1. elayne001 profile image47
      elayne001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have used both, and I really love water soluble oils best, but they cost more. I generally save them for my best work. I love that these new oil paints do not smell or have toxic chemicals and clean up easily. I'd say - take the jump to get the three basic colors - red, yellow and blue and mix your other colors just to try them out.

1. Robie Benve profile image93
        Robie Benveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Elayne, thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I was considering of doing, start with the basic colors and mix my own.
        I even heard of a brand of water based oils that you can mix with acrylics, maybe I will get that one.
        I'd like to ask you: Why do you love water soluble oils best? What are the characteristics that you enjoy?
        Aloha! smile

2. carol7777 profile image86
    carol7777posted 4 years ago

I have been painting with acrylics for years and even a bit with watercolors.  I like them well enough. The interactive acrylics can be revived without skins.  I just bought water-mixable oils and have yet to try them.  I enjoyed finding this topic and reading other's thoughts. I will stay posted once I try them.