★ HOW-TO Gift Wrap | Creative Packaging & DIY Gift Wrapping Ideas ★
Craft Tutorials For Making Your Presents Extra Special
If you think that just wrapping a present with regular wrapping paper looks a bit bare or boring, you've come to the right place!
Have a look at the ideas below for different embellishments you can add to gifts for all occasions, plus creative packaging ideas and some homemade gift tag inspiration.
The how-to's and ideas are mainly aimed at people wrapping personal gifts for Christmas, birthdays, mother's day etc, but if you have a business selling products (especially handmade items), then why not give your customers a special treat with a decorative bow or hand stamped wrapping paper :-)
Brown Paper Packages
Embellishments & Fun Wrapping Paper
There are plenty of products that can be used for gift wrap - from things you will probably already have at home, to unusual objects and crafty bits 'n' bobs! Any craft paper can be used effectively, and there are lots of items - especially card making and scrapbooking embellishments - that will look amazing on a wrapped present.
What Can You Use For Decoration?
Examples & Ideas Of Ways To Decorate Your Gifts
- Ribbons, including cake and curling ribbon
- Pom-poms and tassels
- Upholstery trimmings, such as twisted/braided cord and tassel trim
- Chunky and pretty yarns and fibres tied around (the yarns and fibres could be plaited/braided too)
- Fasten wrapping with a brooch, which can form part of the gift
- Wrap gift in a handkerchief, a dishcloth, something knitted (e.g. a scarf) or a tote bag, which would also serve as an extra gift
- Plastic rhinestones and glue-on gems
- Pretty fabrics like tulle, organza, chiffon, and netting
- Hessian and textured papers + fabrics - such as flocked paper, cosy fleece, or soft felt
- Magazine, newspaper and old book pages
- Various paints - perhaps using stencils with spray paint to decorate the wrapping, using a paintbrush to splatter paint at plain brown wrapping paper, or using linoleum printing blocks or stamps and ink to decorate
- Various wrapping paper
- Card to make gift boxes - could also use mirror card or acetate (with decorative paper underneath, or drawn on with permanent pens/paint to create a painted glass effect)
- Adding sewing or embroidery stitches to the outer wrapping
- Glue wrapped sweets and chocolates to the outside
- Polymer clay (FIMO) or plaster shapes
- Origami shapes in paper, attached to the wrapping
- Fabric flowers/corsages, or faux flowers with stems
- Photos of yourself, your family or of you and the gift recipient together
- Tissue paper and crepe paper
- Natural materials like leaves, flowers and twigs
- Brown paper
- Stamps - rubber stamped designs on the wrapping paper, or postage stamps
- Bows - pre-made or DIY
- Maps, posters, music sheets and comic book pages
- Sewing pattern paper
- Vintage ephemera
- Recycled items like food packaging (e.g. cereal boxes), cans, tins, jars and drinks bottles
- It's best to use double sided tape and/or glue dots for wrapping for a clean professional finish
- Little extras like sweets, bubble blower, confetti, cracker gifts and small kid's toys
- Strands of cheap plastic beads/pearls
- Melted wax, perhaps with a wax seal stamp
- Foil or gold/silver leaf
- String and/or raffia
- Decorative/washi tape
- Wrapping paper you have printed yourself with repeated patterns/messages - or scan in images like maps or personal photographs and repeat those to create an all-over design
- Use a wicker basket to present your gift in
- Paper fringing
- Small figurines and ornaments
- Seashells and other natural beach items like coral
Wrapping a Gift in a Bag
Holly Christmas Topper
How to Make Individual Embellishments
...To add as toppers on the gift wrapping, or to wrap around the gift.
The DIY projects range from silk flowers and pom-poms to decorative ribbon bows and garlands. Have fun!
- Star Shaped Bows
Made from ribbon.
- Origami Wishing Stars
You can include messages inside them too.
- Paper Leaves
- Tissue Paper Flowers
- Lotus Flowers
Made from silk.
- Raggy Flowers
These make cute 'rustic' decorations.
- Paper Rosettes
Accordion style discs.
- Nylon Flowers
Made from wire and pantyhose.
- Pom Poms
Made with yarn and card.
- Paper Roses
From regular paper or crepe paper.
- Fabric Flowers
With stems and leaves.
- Simple Bows
- Flame Sealed Flowers
Very pretty embellishments.
- Ribbon Roses
With video tutorial.
- Magazine Bow
Recycled paper techniques.
- Tiny Bows
Usng narrow ribbon - good for small gifts.
- 8 Types of Bow
Included layered, puffy and tailored bows.
- How to Make a Ribbon Bow
Using a fork!
- Beaded Snowflake Topper
Really pretty decoration.
- Walnut Charms
From Design Sponge
- Cute Starburst Bows
Made from wrapping paper.
- Fabric Paper Tape
Using fabric scraps and tape.
- Spike Bows
Funky and dramatic style of bow.
- Poppy Gift Topper
Easy 5-minute flower DIY.
- Tribal Tassel
Diagrams showing you how to tie a yarn tassel.
- Fabric Statement Bow
How to fold a bow using your favourite fabric.
- Burlap and Canvas Bows
Pretty gift bows which make a change from using paper.
Rustic Paper Rolls & Twine
How to Make a Decorative Bow
Gift Wrap Ideas & Inspiration
- DIY Wedding Gift Wrap
Neutral colors and sophisticated ideas.
- Wrap Artist
Hundreds of ultra inventive and artistic ideas.
- Quick but Pretty Ideas
From Design Sponge.
- Recycled Paper Garlands
To wrap around gifts.
- Jam Jar Packaging
Free designs to print-out if you are gifting jars.
- Memorable Business Packaging
A roundup of ideas of small and handmade business parcel ideas.
- Cute Packaging Examples
Used by handmade product sellers.
- DIY Gift Wrap Projects
Actually every link contains a great idea - so get clicking!
- Style Me Pretty
Snowy gift wrap, gold leaf feathers and more lovely ideas.
- Stamping Wrapping Paper
With paint and foam stamps.
- Packaging Drinks Bottles
How to make bottles look presentable.
- How to Curl Ribbon
WIth the blade of some scissors.
- 7 Stylish Ideas
Including gift wrap themes.
- Gift Wrap Projects
A hand-picked group of Instructables.
- Creative Ideas
And how to wrap awkward shapes.
- 4 Unique Holiday Ideas
Including monogrammed paper.
- 26 Photo Ideas
- Ideas From Professionals
These are some of my favourites - especially the newspaper flower.
Furoshiki With Flowers
Gift Wrap Ideas & Inspiration (cont...)
- Personalised Gift Wrap
With the recipient's names spelt out on the front.
- Upcycled Gift Packaging
With newspaper and old sweaters.
- Gift Wrapping Tutorials
Japanese fabric wrapping.
- Curly Bow
Shown via a video tutorial.
- Green Wrapping Ideas
- Simple Sewn Packaging
With brown paper packaging.
- Furoshiki and Ribbon Techniques
Wrapping of gifts with cloth, and tying ribbon around.
- Mizuhiki Cord
Pretty knot embellishment.
- Alternative Wrapping Paper
Ideas include a burlap sack and teatowels.
- Flickr Gallery
Hundreds of photos showing examples of wrapping.
- Neat & Professional Wrapping Lesson 1
For a clean look.
- Neat & Professional Wrapping Lesson 2
Have a look at the rest of this website too.
- Practical Gift Bow
Handy tutorial for learning how to fold an impressive bow.
Get The Kids Involved
Tutorials for Toppers, Trimmings & More
- Origami Bows
Smart bows made from magazine pages.
- Kraft, Pine & Twine
A beautiful example of a trio of materials to make a rustic look.
- Monogrammed Velvet Ribbon
Personalize velvet ribbon for a touch of luxury.
- Valentine's Day Wrapping
Pink and romantic floral arrangement.
- Teacher Themed Wrap
Pop-out apple and fun lined paper wrapping.
- Cupcake Liner Toppers
Crinkled pom-pom style embellishment.
- DIY Printed Papers
Scan in all kinds of items for personal paper - I love the granny squares!
- Justina Blakeney
A gorgeous selection of nature inspired ideas.
- Cute Award Rosettes
Use cupcake wrappers for creating an 'award' topper.
- Molded Clay Antlers
Rustic centerpiece with added glitz.
How to Make Bottle Top Toppers
(Image credit: me)
This little how-to is for making a pom-pom style paper gift topper.
You Will Need:
* Metallic foil paper, crepe paper, tissue paper or any thin paper which drapes (i.e. not stiff at all)
* A screw-on bottle top off a pop/soda bottle
* Double-sided tape
* Scrap paper (optional)
- First, cut a rectangle out of your paper. This rectangle may differ slightly depending on the paper used and the effect you would like, but I would suggest a height of between 3" and 4", and a length of approx 24". If you don't have paper that is long enough, cut rectangle shapes out of multiple pieces of paper until the total length is enough.
- Cut along one edge of the rectangle(s) in parallel lines, leaving between 1/2" and 1" uncut on the opposite side. This will make fringed paper. To make this step quicker you can fold the rectangles in half a few times before you cut the slits, so that each time you cut you go through a few layers of paper at a time rather than cutting each strip individually.
- When you've done the fringing on all of the rectangles (or just the one) then you can test to make sure that it will fit OK in the bottle top. Simply roll it up and see. If there's not enough you can cut another rectangle out, and if there's too much you can cut a section of fringing off.
- Apply double sided tape or a small amount of superglue (shown in gray on the diagram) to the non-fringed section of one rectangle. Roll it up quite tightly. Tape would be a less messy method.
- If you have other rectangles, apply tape or a thin layer of glue as before and wrap them around the previous roll of paper, carrying on from where the paper ended. There's no need to overlap.
- Put some glue around the bottom of the fringed roll and in the bottle top. Hold the fringed top of the roll together so that it doesn't get in the way, and then push the base into the bottle cap. If it's too loose to balance when you let go then you can glue a bit of scrap paper into the bottle top around the outside of the roll if you wish. Then leave it to dry.
- Simply apply double-sided tape to the bottom of the bottle top to stick it onto a wrapped present.
- That's it!
Metallic Foil Paper Pack
This set of foil papers contains 36 squares measuring 5 7/8" across, in 10 different metallic colors which all look beautiful. These sheets would be ideal for the project above as well as other gift wrap ideas.
The package even includes instructions for making various origami creations, which would look cute on gifts too!
Homemade Gift Wrap Ideas
- Tissue Paper Strips
Colorful tissue paper cut-outs look lovely.
- Handmade Gift Wrap
Paint your own unique paper.
- Stamp Your Own Ribbon
Using a homemade rubber stamp.
- It's a Wrap!
Magazine article with fab ideas - press the right arrow to view.
- Wallpaper Boxes
Origami boxes to enclose the gifts.
- DIY Gift Toppers
A range of embellishments you can make.
- Fabric Gift Wrapping
Funky fabric with a stamped-on letter print.
- Stitched Gift Wrap
Brilliant way to add interest to plain paper and tags.
- Wrap It Up
Pretty wrap ideas using cheap scraps and trims.
- 7 Cute Gift Wraps
Seven ideas for unique present wrapping.
- More Simple Ideas
Including photos, buttons and ruffles.
- Surprise Ball
Make gift opening a lot more fun!
- 14 Creative Ideas
I love the men's necktie idea and the cut-out xmas tree.
Vintage Stamp Theme
Dried Oranges Topper
More Extravagant Gift Wrapping
- Rainbow Yarn
Lovely colorful idea for embellishment.
- Fabric Wrapping
Beautiful examples of wrapping with fabric or hankerchiefs.
- Wrapping Inspiration & Tutorials
Lots of photos and how-tos to give you great ideas.
- Confetti Dipping
Fantastic idea using double-sided tape and tissue paper pieces.
- Printable Gift Paper
Summery paper patterns and gift tags to print.
- Woven Space Invaders
Rainbow paper strips are used to weave this fun gift topper.
- Hand-Printed Fabric Wrap
Beautiful packaging with a cute whale shape print.
- DIY Printed Paper
Print your own unique papers using a rolling pin!
- Wine Bottle Socks
Use cute knee high socks to wrap your wine!
- DIY Fabric Peonies
Special flowers made by using a flame to curl each edge individually.
DIY Painted Wrapping Paper
Gift Wrapping on YouTube
DIY Impressive Wrapping
- Washi Tape Designs
Four different ideas for using just washi tape as the embellishment.
- 4 Ways to Use Yarn
I especially like the woven yarn idea.
- Date Stamp Gift Wrap
Create a repeated grid pattern using a date stamp.
- Rainbow Tape
Weave colourful tape in different patterns.
- Tips & Techniques
Lots of beautiful photos to inspire you.
- Blacks & Browns
Lovely and smart ideas using cheap black silk and brown paper.
- Brown Paper Packages
...tied up with string!
- Nature Wraps
Beautiful DIY green wrapping using leafs and flowers.
- Watercolor & Other Ideas
Watercolor painted paper and tags plus other gorgeous inspiration.
- Photographic Wrapping
How to print your own modern photo gift wrap.
- DIY Tassels
Bunches of colour co-ordinated tassels look fun and fabulous!
- Paint By Numbers
Copy and print paint-by-numbers paintings to create unique wrapping.
Newspaper Gift Bags
Sheet Music Wrapping Paper
Fun & Crafty Presentation Ideas
- Paper Cupcake Carnations
Use cupcake liners to make crinkly flower toppers.
- Hand-Drawn Giftwrap
Lovely unique patterns drawn in silver on brown paper.
- Pop-Up Hot Air Balloons
Make your own 3D balloons to use for decoration.
- Gift Wrapping Ideas
Including bunting and pom-pom garlands.
- Snowglobe Collage
Make Christmas themed scenes with paper shapes.
- Paint Splatter
I love the look of watercolour paint splattered across white paper.
- Apple Print Paper
Use block printing or a real apple.
- Yarn Wrapped Idea
Fun way of getting a textured, stripe design.
- Tapes Galore
Duct, washi and masking tapes used together.
- Brown Paper Packages
Tied up with string!
- Pipe Cleaners
Twist and braid pipe cleaners together for fun wrapping.
- Pillowcase Wrap
Ideal when wrapping up clothes and other soft items.
- Sprinkle Gift Toppers
DIY alphabet gift toppers made from sponge and sprinkles.
- Gold Fringing
A fun new use for fringe door curtains.
Film Reel Bows
Smart & Sophisticated
Creative Gift Tags
- Polymer Clay Tags
Stamped and painted.
- Paper Fabric
- Which you can cut gift tags out of.
- Mini Vinyl Records
Little LP gift tags.
- Recycled Catalogue Tags
Using a useful craft punch.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Pieces
Recycled tag idea.
- Gift Tag Template
Which you can print out.
- Yarn Gift Tag
Using yarn wrapped around card.
- 3D Wool Ball Tags
Fun knitting themed tags.
- 50 Gift Tag Projects
Including printables and craft ideas.
- Plantable Gift Tags
Make your own paper with seeds embedded inside.
- Textures Wallpaper Tags
Have a look at the rest of this site for more ideas too.
- Comic Book Tags
Using pages from comic books.
- Patterned Papers and Gift Tags
Free to download.
- Fabric Scrap Tags
Simple but effective.
- Free to Print
Super cute holiday gift tags.
- Valentine's Tags
Cute tags decorated with felt hearts.
- Cheap Cardboard Tags
With pretty yarn stitching.
- Confetti Stickers
Simple design using transparent stickers on luggage tags.
- Chalkboard Tags
Not only are they really cool, but they're also reusable.
- Jointed Reindeer Tag
Adorable reindeer tag with movable legs.
- Origami Bunny
Contemporary style tag with added glitter paper.
Unique Gift Tags
Gift Box & Bag Templates and Tutorials
- Open-Out Gift Box
Really pretty design.
- Matchbox Template
Free templates for you to cut out and assemble.
- Range of Box Templates
In different shapes.
- Paper Scrap Box
With a video tutorial.
- Box Templates
Including a pillow box outline.
- List of Gift Box How-Tos
Scroll down to find the list.
- Japanese Papercraft Box
Very classy packaging.
- Box Instructables
A range of ideas for gift packaging.
- Gift Packaging
- Paper House Boxes
- A Selection of Free Templates
Ranging from printable pillow boxes to gift boxes made from cereal cartons.
- Printable Christmas Bags
Free paper gift bag patterns.
- Shirt and Tie Gift Box
A great presentation idea for Father's day.
- Decorating Gift Boxes
How to recycle used or plain boxes into something special.
- Pyramid Packaging
A more unusual shape for pretty little gift boxes.
- Patterned Paper Bags
A tutorial on how to make the classic little gift bag.
Homemade Bottle Gift Bags
Fun & Artistic Ways to Wrap Presents
- Gave That
Big resource of interesting, unique and beautiful wrapping ideas.
- Martha Stewart
A roundup of 39 handmade wrapping techniques.
- Colored Newspaper Flowers
Beautiful and elaborate paper topper.
- Cut-Out Paper Ribbon
Clever idea for a pop-up name, number or message.
- Silver Kraft Wrap
Reversible dual-color paper, which you can also make by spray painting Kraft paper.
- Word Search Tea Towel
Print a word search design on fabric using printable transfer paper.
- DIY Animals
Creative and simple ways to transform box shapes into animals.
- Faux Bois
Use self-adhesive wood vinyl for a nature theme.
- Funny Faces
Play dress up with your presents...I love the curly hair!
- 'Shake-It' Confetti Wrapping
Enclose confetti pieces inside cellophane for a fun and colourful look.
- Make Your Own Love Letter
A great choice if you have nice handwriting.
- 5 Crafty Options for Spring
Including a lovely mini flower garden.
Beautiful Nature Wrap Ideas
Inspiring Gift Wrap Idea Books
For inspiring collections of ideas and examples at your fingertips, books are what you need.
Inspired by the Japanese fabric wrapping, learn how to make modern and eco-friendly wraps, even for awkward objects.
Over 200 photos of stunning gift wrapping, with step-by-step guides for how to replicate them.
A very highly rated book with beautiful photos of what can be achieved with just fabric squares.
Do you put a lot of effort into your gift wrapping?See results without voting
More by this Author
This step-by-step tutorial shows you exactly how to bind your own journal and create a leather wrap-around cover. You can achieve a professional finish with this project, even as a complete beginner!
Creating pop-ups is a form of paper engineering that is easy and really fun. This page guides beginners through the basics and also provides ideas, templates, and video tutorials for projects.
If you would like to learn the differences between the larger members of the Cat family, please take a look at this page!