How to Recycle Old Jeans DIY and Make or Save Money
Those Ever So Special Jeans
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take those jeans that have just been taking up space in your closet and know how to recycle them into something useful, that could save or maybe even make you some money. Well here's a few ideas to get you started and how I did it
If your like me, or so many other men and women I know you probably have at least 3 or 4 pair of jeans that need to be recycled or donated. Why? Well in my case even if I lost the weight I still wouldn’t wear them due to the style, length, worn out, etc. Then when I do lose the weight I’m going to reward myself with some new jeans anyway, (notice I said when). My closet has the “I’ll get back into them someday” or the “They’ll be great for working outside around the horses in the winter”. Hello, I live in central Florida where even if it does get that cold when I’m outside working, I’m in comfortable Capri jeans, or sweats (which is really rare).
Then of course there is my favorite couple of pair that I bought because I just needed to lose another 5 -10 lbs to get into, (more like15-20 but 5-10 sounded better at time). Hmmm imagine that, they still have the tags on them and that was last year, oooops. Hey I’m working on it, slow and steady wins the race right. OK if I went any slower I’d be going backwards
So I was working on another project and came up with a few ideas. I’ve added a few pictures (with my phone so probably not the best quality) and explanations as to how I did it along the way. If you want to get more detailed with some of them, or change it up a little, please go right ahead. I am not even close to being an adequate sewer so for all you experts, cut me a little slack please. The whole idea is to be able to make something useful out of them and other things so if I can save 20 or 40 bucks I’m game. .Hey if I was a better sewer I might even be able to sell a couple things.
Project #1 Beach Bag, Tool Bag, Pet/Horse Grooming Bag, Purse
The things I used for this project are
- pair of jeans,
- empty water bottle cardboard container and empty water bottles depending on what your making
- pins and scissors and Velcro
- an old belt for a strap (but you can use the jean material to make a strap, rope, etc)
Step by Step
- Cut the legs of the jeans off at the crotch. Cut through the crotch so that the entire bottom portion is open like a skirt. If your going to use this for a craft bag, tool or grooming bag and put the cardboard inside allowing you to fill empty water bottles with beads and other articles you need to make sure the jeans are large enough to fit around the bottom as shown in picture #3. This rarely is an issue unless you are using a child's pair of jeans or have to big of a piece of cardboard. I buy the 20 oz bottles at Wal Mart and you will be amazed at the things you can use them for when empty along with the cardboard.
- Take one of the legs and measure about 2 inches past the length of the cardboard and cut it off there. Then cut to the side of the seam allowing it to open up and place it on top of the cardboard giving yourself about an inch over on each side and trim. It should be somewhat similar to pic #2.
- Pin the piece you just cut (or if your a great sewer just sew it to the top piece) to the top piece making sure both sides are inside out and match pretty close as shown in i # 4. This does not have to be perfect so if your not a great sewer (like me) don't get all out of sorts it will work. If it seems to be way to much material you may need to cut a little more, but a little is ok because you can make a little fold when your sewing them together.
- Sew the two pieces together and remove the pins. It should look close to pic #5
- If your making a purse or beach bag other than picking out a strap Your Done. You can use an old belt as I did in pic#8 or you can use rope, cut a 4" piece of material from the leg, turn it inside out, sew and make a strap, etc.
- If your making a craft bag put the cardboard in and Velcro (little pieces) the bottles to the sides (pic 6 & 7). You may need to cut the tops off of some for scissors and larger items or just leave the middle empty. If it is going to be a grooming or tool bag cut the tops of the bottles off where it starts getting bigger again which will allow for combs, brushes, hoof picks, screwdrivers, etc. to fit in and Velcro some to both ends leaving the middle open for larger items. Don't forget you can use the pockets to put things in also like keys or phones, tools, brushes, and even attach some things to the belt loop.
So now you can make your own beach bags, purses, grooming bags for the horses or dogs, or both, tool bag, craft bag, OK you get the idea. You can get as detailed as you want with these with studs, embroidery, press ons, etc. You can even personalize some to give as gifts. Then if you want to make more you can sell some and make some extra money.
I can't tell you the money I will save by not having to buy all these and best of all the convenience of having all of it organized in one spot. This would also be something great for the kids where they can really get creative.
So what are you waiting on, get busy. Once you start fair warning it gets a little addicting.
Project Number # 2 A Jean Dog Bed With Pillows
This is extremely simple even for those of us who aren't the best with a sewing machine, but due to the length of this hub and some problems loading it I am going to post it on another hub
I apologize for taking so long for the link but as you can see in the picture below the bed I had some early visitors that needed a lot of attention. So just click on a jean dog/cat/pet bed and away you go.
If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know.
Have an incredible day and happy projecting!
More by this Author
Warning this mask is not your everyday put it on take it off and hope for results in month or two. Pulling blood to the areas of wrinkles, acne, blackheads, and flabby skin allows it to start rejuvenating new...
Being in the middle of a project and having to stop to take a sewing machine to the repair shop because it’s stuck in reverse is a pain, especially if you have a deadline. Wouldn't it be nice and a whole lot...
Having a dog, cat, or pet with mange, skin allergies, or fleas will drive you mad. It can also take a huge chunk out of your bank account, especially if you have a vet that charges $250 every time there's an outbreak. ...