How to Recycle VHS Tapes
Recycle Your VHS Tapes and Help the Environment!
Back in the 80's and early 90's, everyone had VHS tapes, and lots of them. They were bulky, they were a little time consuming to fast forward, and the quality wasn't the best, but at the time, they were cutting edge technology that the world embraced. The problem is it's hard to recycle them, but it can be done. So, how do you recycle VHS tapes? Read on to find out how.
Own a Lot of VHS Tapes?
How many old VHS tapes do you have?See results without voting
Think of Reusing Before Recycling
Recycling is always a good option for the environment, but even better is reusing. Every time you recycle something, it will take up extra energy to turn it into something else. If you reuse it, that means there's less energy required, perhaps only a little elbow grease.
How Can You Reuse Your Old VHS Tapes?
VHS tapes can be reused in a number of ways. First off, they can be reused by local shelters, charities, and thrift stores. While they may not be worth a single cent, they may still have value to people who need some form of entertainment (is entertainment ever really obsolete?).
There are also a few creative ways you can reuse your VHS tapes.
- Sell them in a giant lot on Ebay. Use UPS Ground as the cheapest form of shipping, and the most eco friendly option.
- You can make yarn out of VHS tapes using this tutorial.
- Make your own VHS tape designer bag with this other pictorial page.
- In this article, commenters have come up with ways to reuse VHS cases.
- Reuse VHS tapes into items like a fly swatter, insulation, and serving dish using this page.
- Donate them.
How to Recycle VHS Tapes
You can also recycle your VHS tapes at a number of different online websites which will take the casettes off of your hands for you. Here are some those websites:
- This article on Womans Day tells the story of ACT, which gives disabled people jobs by letting them sell salable VHS tapes, and recycling the plastic pieces of the rest of the casettes. You can send them to the address on their how to recycle VHS tapes article here.
- Freecycle may have other people interested in those old VHS casettes. At least your home will be free of the old clutter.
- Craigslist and Kijiji offer free online ads. Have someone take them off of your hands for you by placing an ad for the entire lot of them.
Making a Dress from Video Tape
Other Things You Can Recycle:
Eco Friendly Products from the Author of this Page
More by this Author
With the changes to our earth's atmosphere from climate change, making an eco friendly choice for your baby crib is an important decision that can help alleviate prevent old growth from being cut, as well as to ensure a...
Going green is quite easy with the amount of information on the web today. There are hundreds of established websites that offer green living tips to make your impact on the environment less substantial, and to help...
CFL bulbs save you hundreds of dollars just by switching from your standard incandescent bulbs. There are many otehr reasons why switching to CFL bulbs makes sense which you can read about here.