10 Most Annoying Driving Behaviors
You've all seen them. You might be one of them. They cruise around unaware that they are bringing out the road rage in even the calmest fellow. They yack and smile and sing a song oblivious to the fact that they are sharing the road with other drivers. They are diverse - young, old, multi-ethnic, male, female, rich or poor. They drive sports cars and trucks, mini-vans and SUV's. They have one thing in common - they are annoying to other drivers. Here are the top ten driving habits that make me crazy.
1) SPEED LIMIT - The sign is there for a reason. If you are in that big of a rush, take the highway. I cannot go any faster than the car in front of me. Get off my butt. On the other hand, if you're feeling so pokey today that you can only drive 25 miles under the speed limit, please pull over and let everyone pass. Some of us really need to get where we're going.
2) TAKING A RIGHT TURN - Why is it that it takes some folks two hours to take a right turn? Slow down (a little), flip on your right hand directional, turn the steering wheel and off you go. And unless you're driving a Mac truck, is it really necessary to veer wide into the left lane to turn your small compact to the right? Jeesh.
3) LOST - Not sure which way to go? Try pulling over into a parking lot to get your bearings and look at a map. Please don't just stop in the middle of the road and look around stopping all flow of traffic.
4) BRAKES - Brakes are used to stop the car. Pumping them all the time you are driving down the road not only makes it an uncomfortable ride for you, it annoys the person behind you.
5) DIRECTIONALS - Those are the little levers you flip up or down that lets other drivers know which way you intend to go. I do not enjoy sitting at the corner of a street waiting for you to go by only to find out you are turning in where I am.
6) CELL PHONES - You are not paying attention. Your driving is atrocious in every way. You are a danger to yourself and the rest of the driving world. Get a hands-free car kit if you must talk. Better yet, wait until you are stopped somewhere so you can concentrate on your conversation.
7) PARKING LOTS - It's always nice to find a parking spot close to the entrance. But sitting there stalled, blocking a lane to wait for one is uncalled for. Park a little furthur away and walk. It's good for you. And please, always look before you back out, don't just barrel out of there figuring everyone will get out of your way.
8) MUSIC - Dear Lord, if the whole road is shaking from the base coming from your radio, it's TOO LOUD. Not everybody likes your kind of music. Get earphones.
9) LITTER - You litter bugs ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I've seen everything from McDonald's wrappers, to plastic grocery bags, to ashtrays full of butts fly out of a moving car's window. Have some respect, if not for the beautiful world you live in, for the folks who have to look at your trash on the side of the road. Or even more so for the people who have to pick it up. Keep a paper bag in your car for the trash please.
10) DOGS AND KIDS - They belong in the back seat, not on your lap when you drive. It doesn't matter how small or cute they are. It's a dangerous habit both for them and you.
Most of all, we all need to practice being safe and courteous drivers. Being a serious driver can be beneficial to all. And you need to stop annoying everyone. Thanks.
More by this Author
Some of us are naturals when it comes to sports. Some of us are not. If you're unathletic, there are sports designed just for you. Here are a few.
There have always been ambivalent feelings about the American hobo. Both a romanticized figment of the country's imagination and an integral part of American society, the hobo established its own unique culture. The...
Teens need to connect with other teens. Thanks to the Internet it couldn't be easier. Here are some smart, safe sites your teenager will love to explor.