12 DrivingTips That Could Save Your Life
Whether you are just learning to drive or have been driving for years, we can all benefit from tips of others. One of the biggest problems of driving that has surfaced over the last 20 to 30 years is road rage. It is hard to predict when it will happen or where. If you happen to be a victim of road rage, try to get out of there way if possible. The worst thing to do is gesture or holler profanities. These things can esculate really fast and who knows here it will end up.
12 driving tips might not help you against road rage, but it might prevent you from running over a child or animal. Driving tips could also keep you from being in an accident. Unlike the car in the photo above, all 4 wheels need to be kept on the ground. Try to be aware of obstacles in malls, shopping centers, and gas stations.
1. When you are driving down the road look in all areas of the road as you drive. As you drive look for feet in front of parked cars that might be hiding a small child running out in the road.
2. At stop signs, always look both ways at least twice before proceeding. There are blind spots in the car and and the environment. Cars and motor cycles are easily hid in these spots.
3. Look often in the rear view mirror. Unless you keep an eye on it, you do not know what is going on behind you. My mother got hit from behind from a semi whose driver had fell asleep at the wheel.
4. Always use your turn signals. Let other drivers know what you are going to do. if you are turning left with no signal, a car might be passing you from behind.
5. When driving at night, do not look at the head lights of oncoming traffic. this causes temporary blindness and you might actually drive into the car.
6. If your throttle sticks, shift to neutral and make a controlled stop out of traffic. You will retain control over your brakes and steering. Only after your car completely stops, shut the key off and then shift into park and set the parking brake.
7. Always slow down and look for trains at railway crossings. The crossing gates could malfunction and a train could be seconds away. Never drive around a lowered crossing gate. The lives of you and your passengers are to valuable to risk.
8. Driving on ice is a skill learned only by driving on ice. Nothing else is like it. To help stop, shift into neutral and pump the brakes to keep them from locking. Also use the shoulder of the road, and even the center if it has ground up ice. Anything that increases friction between the ice and the tires. Always turn slowly around corners. If you are going too fast to turn, keep going straight. Missing your turn is better than crashing.
9. If you are driving down a road and a car is heading towards you in your lane, give him a chance to get out of the way first. After all he is in your lane and you don't know what he is doing. But avoid hitting him head on no matter what. It is better to run off the road, run over bushes and small trees if you have to, anything is better that hitting head on.
10. Pay attention while driving. Do not text, try to avoid talking on the phone, and avoid being distracted by your passengers.
11. If you are driving and are falling asleep, pull off the road. Get out of the car and walk around. If you cannot get woke up, do not drive. Lock yourself in your car and sleep for 30 minutes if you have too. Call someone to get you. Do not drive if you are having problems staying awake.
12. Do not drink and drive. It is irresponsible and dangerous, you are risking not only your life, but also those with you and other drivers as well. If you drink, always have a ride or stay put.
I hope these tips will help someone and maybe even keep someone from being injured. Be careful driving and always wear your seat belt.
Cell Phones are really adding to the total numbers of crashes each year. Texting while driving is very dangerous. Driving a car while looking at something else can result in a crash that can cause serious injury or death. The same holds true for reading, shaving, and applying make-up. Driving a car needs your full attention. So be careful and have a safe trip.
More by this Author
Television can have a strange effect on your life. For good or bad, it is here to stay.
Heartburn does not have to control your life. Ant-acid tablets can cause stomach cancer. For relief ...