1991-94 Ford Mercury Capri Parts DIY
Even though only 66,000 were made from 1991-94, and perhaps, not more than 40,000 of them remain on the road worldwide, finding parts for your 1991-94 Mercury Capri can be an issue. That is the bad news.
The good news is that, depending on what you need, it may not be so hard. When you are looking or going to the auto parts store, always indicate it is for a Mercury Capri BUT also tell them many of the parts for a 1987-89 Mazda 323 Protégé are interchangeable, That is because the engine, chassis are a Mazda, the same one used on the Mazda Miata in 1990-1, the Capri simply has a different suspension and body, they use the same 1.6L engine,
Of course, many after market auto parts are easily found and work on the Capri. Below is a list of some of the common ones:
- OIL FILTER - Fram PH 6607, Beck and Arnly # 041-8055, Motorcraft FL 816
- AIR FILTER - K and N # 33-2027, Hastings AF 885, Motorcraft FA-1050
- TIMING BELTS - Gates T179, Evergreen for a 90-94 Mazda Protégé 1.8L, 91-96 Merc Tracer or Ford Escort # TBK179EVE, Goodyear # 4040385
- HEAD GASKET- Ask for one that fits a 92-93 Miata engine B6, B6E
- CLUTCH KIT - New Generation for a Kia Rio, Sephia, Protégé Part kit # 10-040 Fits 1.5L, 1.6L and 1.8L engines, Alto Mgr- Kit # 91137 for a 94-97 Lia Sephia or a 90-94 Mazda Miata
- HEADLIGHT - Wagner H6545
- CV Assy - EMPI # 80-2406
- WATER PUMP - GMP #145-1350
- CAT CONVERTER - Davico # 16505
- OXYGEN SENSOR - Denso 234-1019
- FRONT STRUTS - KYB #234009
- BRAKE CALIPERS - Centric # 14245514
- BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER- Centric # 130-61020
- BRAKE PAD - Bendix #D366 for rear, Satisfied brakes-# PR319-C
- SPARK PLUGS - Motorcraft for XR2 AGS32C, Non-XR2: AGSP 32C
- FUEL FILTER - Motorcraft - XR2 - FG 870, Non: FG874
- PCV Valve - Motorcraft EV 146
- TRANSMISSION FLUID - Motorccraft Mercon (AT- 6 qts, Manual- 3.4 qts)
- POWER STEERING FLUID - Motorcraft Type F (.63 qt)
- ENGINE OIL - 5W30 (3.7 qts)
- AIR CONDITIONING - R-12 Refrigerant (25 oz)
- TURN SIGNAL BULBS - Use 1156
- TAILLIGHT - Use 1157
- FRONT PARKING LAMP - Use 37R-0016
Big items like internal engine parts, most interior parts will remain a challenge to find with only 40,000 left worldwide! Many Capris are sadly parted out simply because the owner cannot find the part or they have the part but do not have know how to fix it. Calling a Ford dealer for help usually results in a "Sorry", However, you may have more luck taking it to a Mazda mechanic! So, before you junk the car, try that!
More by this Author
Usually when a turbo fails the pieces go into the intercooler along with a good amount of engine lube oil. If you do not shut it down quickly they can get smaller pieces into the engine, again with engine oil, the...
In general terms, this DIY procedure is guide, but specifically, it pertains to the 2006+ VW cars and Jetta TDI with DSG transmissions. Owners of such cars can face high maintenance costs but like other cars, there...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.