A Closer Look At 5 Amazing Electric Vehicles
Electric vehicles didn't take off the first time that their use was explored. However, they're starting to gain some traction now. There are quite a few different designs to choose from. Plus there are many new cars coming out all of the time that take some of the best things about cutting edge car design and add an electric vehicle component to make the cars as forward-thinking as possible. It might be a little while before a majority of drivers are on board with this new technology but that doesn't mean that it's rare. Electric car owners are increasing in number by the day.
Let's take a closer look at five electric cars that have made headlines lately to see just why these vehicles are so interesting:
1. Tesla. This electric vehicle brand is one of the most interesting ones that we've seen so far. The thing about the Tesla Roadster and the Roadster Sport (the two cars the company currently puts out) is that these are high-end sports cars. They drive fast and they can be driven hard. They're stylish; men in particular tend to be fans of them. That's just not something that you would expect to see when you are looking at electric vehicles. The fact that this company thinks outside of the traditional box, creating electric vehicles that aren't just for green-minded families but also for eco-conscious speed demons, makes this a really interesting company to consider when looking at electric vehicles.
The truth is, of course, that these cars are expensive. The average person can't afford this type of electric vehicle. However, there are two things going on with this company that will make it more accessible to other people. First of all, they're releasing a new sedan next year that's not nearly as cool but still a nice car and much more affordable. And secondly, they're beginning to offer the option of leasing their electric vehicles rather than buying them outright. This is a cool idea because it allows you to not only get the chance to use one of these expensive cars but also to test out electric vehicles in general before committing to buying one for good.
2. Nissan LEAF. This electric vehicle is, in some ways, the opposite of the Tesla Roadster. It's not designed to appeal to a niche group of people but rather to the average driver. It's capable of going approximately 100 miles before it needs to be charged which should meet the every day driving needs of most people. It is an average- looking car that reminds most people of the most popular hybrid electric cars on the market (such as the Prius). The fact that it appeals to the average driver makes it well-poised to take off in the market when it's released at the end of the year. This vehicle is going to have a more affordable price tag; somewhere less than $33,000 is what people are saying although official prices won't be released until April. It's a highway-ready vehicle, meaning that it is capable of going at highway speed, which is something that people are looking for in modern electric vehicles (and something that wasn't true of a lot of electric vehicles in the past). Notably, however, it is unclear from reports at this time whether the vehicle will actually perform well on freeways. It’s something that we’ll need to wait to find out as time goes on.
3. Honda 3RC. This one is just a concept car right now but it presents an interesting electric vehicle design. It’s a single-seater vehicle that has two wheels in front and one wheel in back, a design that is very similar to another electric vehicle: The Aptera. This unique design makes the vehicle look a lot like an enclosed motorcycle, a style of automobile that could certainly be appealing to a niche group of people. Of course, what most folks love about motorcycles is the fact that they’re open to the elements, but there is something fun about driving such a compact car. The person that this vehicle really appeals to, however, is the urban driver. Someone who has to commute to and from work in a car but who hates dealing with parking in a big city may find it easier to park a small vehicle like this one. Some people say that there is going to be a trend for electric vehicles to get smaller and smaller for precisely this reason.
4. Antro Solar-Electric Car. This is a new concept car as well and one that points to another potential turn in electric vehicle design that we might see in the future. There are two interesting things to note about this vehicle. The first is that it includes solar power which is incorporated with electric power in a neat form of technology that makes a lot of sense. And second, it’s a car with modular parts which means that you can take it apart and put it back together in different ways; in fact, you could turn it into one large car or two separate small cars because of this unique design. This is something that would be very interesting to see more of with car design in the future, wouldn’t it?
5. Yves Behar Hackable Solar Electric Car. This concept car is very similar to the Antro vehicle which points to the fact that it’s a design that could end up in the market. It, too, is modular (or as Behar calls it, hackable). What’s cool about this one is that its parts are interchangeable so it will be easy for owners to order new parts as needed. That’s something efficient that car owners would surely like! You could customize the vehicle’s shape, personalizing it to suit your needs and mood. The base of the car is electric but there are solar panels on the roof to harness the energy of the sun. This solar-electric combo is one that should definitely take off in the market as the technology is further developed.
- 10 Electric Cars that are Ready for the Highway
Electric cars are a really interesting aspect of both the auto industry and the green movement. Electric cars provide a terrific solution to many of the environmental problems that are caused by traditional...
- Buy Electric: 5 Electric Cars You Can Buy Right Now
The world of electric cars is expanding, and becoming quite interesting. On the horizon, are some impressive concepts, sure. But you do not have to wait to buy electric. There are a number of electric cars...
- High Performance Electric Cars
Ten 4 second 0-60 Cars reviewed. Thanks to the well publicized Tesla much of the public no longer think of just golf carts and kid's sidewalk toys when electric cars are mentioned...
- Tesla Motors and the Tomorrow of the Electric Car
May 10, 2008 If you saw the movie
More by this Author
You are considering buying a new car and you want to get the one with the best gas mileage. Maybe it's because you're socially aware and want to be kind to the environment. Or maybe it's just because you want to save...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Electric cars are a really interesting aspect of both the auto industry and the green movement. Electric cars provide a terrific solution to many of the environmental problems that are caused by traditional autos....
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.