Death by Driving
Typical Car Accident
Learn How to Drive
As of 5/30/2013, the death toll on Texas roadways was over 1,100 people! Every time you get in your car, you are risking death and dismemberment by driving. It could be you are a lousy driver or it could be the other guy is a lousy driver. The safest thing you can do to prevent accidents, whether you are 8 or 80, is to get educated.
One of the best way to avoid becoming a statistic is to learn how to drive!
According to Online Texas Defensive Driving Course, it is only $25 to take defensive driving classes that will save your life and quite possibly the lives of others. This course can be done in the privacy and comfort of your own home.
Not only can you learn to drive much better, but there are other benefits of taking driving courses.
- If you have received a ticket, a driving course will help to dismiss the ticket.
- Driving courses decrease your insurance premiums and keep points off of your driving record.
- You will become a much better driver!
If you are unable to take an online driving course, your local library can help you find a classroom driving course near you. If all else fails, get some books on how to drive and read them!
Stop, Look and Listen!
Causes of Car Accidents
Since the first auto accident fatality in 1896, 25 million people have died via auto related accidents. This is according to the World Health Organization (WHO). WHO says that over a million people die on the roads of the world each year and the number is increasing. What are the major causes of auto accidents?
- Distraction - Whatever you are doing other than concentrating on operating your automobile is a distraction. Do not eat, smoke, drink, talk on the phone, text, look at scenery, look at other wrecks or even listen to music! It was recently reported that a teen, driving a car for the very first (and last) time, was texting when she had a fatal crash. We don't expect airline pilots to be distracted when they drive a plane, why do people not pay attention when driving?
- Sleeping behind the wheel - being fatigued is the second most common cause of auto related accidents. Just say no to driving when you are tired.
- Driving under the influence of mind altering substances - Seriously? People still drink and drive. They smoke pot and drive. They take allergy medicines and drive. They do illegal drugs and drive. It would be nice if people would just say NO! What is so important that you can't stay home and drink? If your mind is not clear, you may injure or kill someone.
- Speeding - Here is where education can play the largest part in helping people learn to control their vehicles. There is no excuse for speeding. There may be times when you need to actually get somewhere in a hurry, but speeding isn't going to actually get you there faster and it may slow you down considerably if you have an accident. Driving a car requires only a minimum comprehension of physics. Big car + Speed = Danger.
- Angry drivers - People that cannot control their emotions need to refrain from driving. Being angry, or sad, or any of other overly emotional states will affect your ability to control your automobile. If you kill someone while in an angry mood, you can never take it back. You can never say you are sorry.
- Inability to control a car due to weather conditions - Every time it floods, someone gets swept away from the road and drowns. It happens every time! People leave their pets and even their children in hot cars. This is murder. People try to drive in inclement weather and pay with their lives. Learn to drive for road conditions and save lives.
Just knowing the causes for accidents will help to prevent them. Learn what to do in each of the above situations and you will go a long way toward keeping yourself and your loved ones safe while driving.
Worst Intersections in Austin, Texas - Every town has them!
Are you a safe driver?
Do you drive defensively?See results without voting
Hard to watch video - do these people really have driving licenses?
© 2013 Austinstar
More by this Author
What driving laws have you broken lately? Did you get a moving violation, a parking ticket or a warning from a traffic officer? Let's explore the top ten most commonly broken driving laws.
Teenage drivers must learn to drive well. Car safety is all about learning the basics and practicing until close perfection is attained. Driver's Education classes are not enough. Learn to drive by listening to...
Top 10 very effective uses for distilled white vinegar. Cure ringworm, athlete's foot, soothe insect bites, help for yeast infections and more...