Details to Note after a Traffic Accident
Confused and Distressed After a Traffic Accident
It is understandable that you as a driver or a motorist are usually confused and distressed after a traffic accident. But confused and distressed as you may be, there are details you need to note down and report to traffic police if your liability is to be reduced and your prospect of success in any subsequent civil or criminal proceedings is to be increased.
Injury to any Person or Animal
In the event of an accident, a motorist is only legally obliged to stop and exchange particulars if the accident causes the following:
- 1. Damage to any vehicle other than your own or causes damage to other property by the road including damage to walls, fences, buildings, lampposts and other forms of fixtures.
- 2. Injury to any person or any animal including a horse, dog, cow, sheep, pig, goat, ass or donkey. A cat is not included.
Car Accident - What to Do Next?
Failing to Stop to Exchange Particulars is Endorsable as Offences
Particulars of the vehicle and the driver have to be exchanged with anyone who may reasonably require them. This may mean other motorist, injured person, traffic police and any other persons suffering damage as a result of the accident. Failing to stop to exchange particulars is endorsable as offences by themselves.
Teach Yourself Defensive Driving
Stop and Exchange Particulars
Particulars of the vehicle and the driver have to be exchanged with anyone who may reasonably require them. This may mean other motorist, injured person, traffic police and any other persons suffering damage as a result of the accident. Failing to stop to exchange particulars is endorsable as offences by themselves. The particulars to be exchanged include the following:
- 1. Name and address of the motorist or driver
- 2. Name and address of the vehicle's owner, if different from that of the driver.
- 3. The certificate of insurance should be produced and noted. The insurance certificate is in deed very necessary if someone has been injured.
- 4. Vehicle registration number
An Accident Must Be Reported Within 24 Hours
An accident must be reported to traffic police within 24 hours (or 48 hours in some countries) if one of the following happened:
- 1. The driver or the motorist failed to disclose name and address to anyone reasonably requiring them
- 2. Someone was injured and at the scene of the accident the motorist or the driver was unable to provide the insurance certificate to anyone reasonably requiring it.
Alone At the Scene of Accident
If a motorist was alone at the scene of the accident, then the logic is that the motorist should report the accident to the traffic police as failure to report is an endorsable offence by itself.
Note down General Observations
In addition to exchanging particulars, a motorist is advised to note down some general observations which include the following:
- 1. Road and weather conditions
- 2. Any comments and statements made by other parties
- 3. Any apparent personal injuries sustained and damage suffered
- 4. Names and force numbers of any attending traffic police officers
- 5. Draw a sketch plan identifying points of impact and damage
- 6. Sketch plan to show positions of all vehicles and pedestrians
- 7. Sketch plan to show any road signs, marking and widths of the road
- 8. Note down in your sketch plan any visual obstructions
- 9. Sketch to include positions of independent witnesses and any other relevant factors.
Drivers under Strict Duty to Comply with These Statutory Requirements
You as a motorist or a driver are under a strict duty to comply with these statutory requirements failure to observe them may render you liable to a number of road traffic offences.
The hubber's website is designed to help beginners and average readers make money online to supplement the few dollars they may be earning from their Google Adsense - details of which you can find in my profile here, if you will.
More by this Author
Toyota is one of the world’s richest companies as well as one of the world’s largest companies. Toyota employs more than 310,000 employees. Compare this with Wall Mart Stores who has more than 2,100,000, a...
Electrolysis is the process of passing direct electric current through molten ionic compound to decompose it into its elements. When direct electric current is passed through water, water will dissociate into its...
Learn the meaning of popular Internet acronyms and slang terms, suc has lol, lmao, brb, and more!