Fun Facts About the Chevrolet Equinox
- A crossover vehicle straddles the line between traditional cars and Sport Utility Vehicles. Typically smaller than an average SUV, they offer improved fuel economy but less towing capacity. Crossovers attract young families who desire more interior room than a sedan or a coupe.
- A crossover can be 2 wheel drive, usually the front 2 wheels, or 4 wheel drive. Some models allow selection between these two modes.
- Chevrolet jumped into the competitive crossover market segment with the Equinox. Chevrolet engineers and marketers designed it to compete with the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and Ford Escape. These vehicles are extremely popular in the crossover segment.
- The rear seat in the Equinox flips down, providing additional storage room for cargo such as bicycles, camping gear, and groceries. A heaping number of storage areas pocket the interior of the vehicle, including (optional) built-in netting pockets designed for wrangling items such as grocery bags and other shopping bags.
- The Equinox seats 5 humans: two in the front in individual bucket seats and 3 more in the second row seat. Behind the second row seat is a relatively small storage area that won't swallow a sheet of drywall, but will consume a few hefty bags of groceries. Therefore, you can take your family of 5 shopping and be fairly confident that their purchases will fit comfortably in the Chevrolet Equinox.
- Consumers Digest Magazine anointed the Equinox as a 2011 "Best Buy."
- Engineered into the rear view mirror is a slick video display connected to a read-facing camera. This device, available in some models, provides a valuable tool when backing up.
- All models of the Equinox include disk brakes on all 4 wheels. Anti-lock braking is also a standard feature on all trim levels.
4 Trim Levels are available
In order of swankiness, four available trim levels can be ordered:
- 2LT, and
All trim levels are available in 2WD (Front Wheel Drive) or AWD (All Wheel Drive).
Each of these trim levels comes compete with a 6-speed automagic transmission and air conditioning. The LTZ includes real leather seating surfaces and a power programmable lift gate to control the functionality of the real lift gate, which pretty much opens and closes on all the trim levels, but can only be programmed on the LTZ trim level.
The least expensive Equinox
Trim level LS can be ordered at for about $23,800, including destination charge. This price includes no additional options, but add-ons such as a fuel door (about $140) and a molded hood protector (about $79) can be added on to the product at your Chevy dealer.
Every LS comes standard with power windows, power mirrors, and power door locks. A compass is also included.
Financing an Equinox
A base model LS can be had for about $566.18 per month for 48 months at an interest rate of 6.65%. The total payment, assuming the loan is paid in 48 equal payments over the 4 year period, would be about $27,176.64.
Building a Chevrolet Equinox
Chevrolet builds these vehicles in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. Ingersol boasts a long and distinguished cheese history as well. The Ingersoll Cheese & Agricultural Museum is one of many public attractions in the city. About 3000 employees are employed at the Equinox plant: no doubt most of them enjoy cheese.
Does the US Government think an Equinox is safe?
The United States Government crashes cars in order to judge occupant safety. A number of stars are awarded: 5 stars is the most, zero stars is pretty much equivalent to running into a brick wall on a bicycle.
The 2011 Equinox earned 4 stars for enduring Frontal Crash tests and 4 stars for Rollover tests. It garnered all 5 stars for the Side Crash test. These stars apply to both FWD (Front Wheel Drive) and AWD (All Wheel Drive) models.
By Comparison, a 2011 Honda CR-V earned 4 stars for each of the three tests. The 2011 Ford Escape was saddled with only three stars for each of the three tests.
More by this Author
A useful text editor is an essential component of any personal computer. Every day we need to make notes, compose documents, and record vital pieces of information. We depend on our text editor. Microsoft provided...
Data Hiding is an aspect of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) that allows developers to protect private data and hide implementation details. In this tutorial we examine basic data hiding techniques in Java.
Ever been to a NASCAR race? I thought not. Here are my top 10 reasons why NASCAR racing doesn't rock.