Hal's Master Motorcycle & Scooter MPG Reference Hub
Here is the master guide to locating the fuel mileage of any of the 700 top selling motorcycles and 250 top selling scooters.
Just click the category below which describes the motorcycle or scooter that interests you and you'll find it right there!
If you want to search through a huge list, you can click on:
If you'd like to find your motorcycle by brand and engine layout category just click on:
- Harley-Davidson Big Twins
- Harley-Davidson Sportsters & Below 1201cc
- Honda Boxers (Gold Wings) & Sixes
- Honda Off Road
- Honda Street Singles
- Honda Transverse Fours
- Honda V-Fours & CBRs
- Honda V-Twins
- Honda Vertical Twins
- Kawasaki Ninjas
- Kawasaki Singles
- Kawasaki Vertical Twins, Fours & Sixes
- Kawasaki Vulcans
- Suzuki Singles & Vertical Twins
- Suzuki Sports & Fours
- Suzuki V-Twins
- Yamaha Sports & Fours
- Yamaha V-Twins
- Yamaha Vertical Singles, Twins & Triples
This whole mad project began when I first started poring around to dig up fuel economy figures for a hub on the mpg ratings for the top selling 50 motorcycles. It turned out that although you can find thousands of web sites on the internet to inform you as to the least significant and most obscure feature of an Apple iPod, Canon digital camera, or Lexmark inkjet printer, there wasn't much out there which rated motorcycle fuel mileage. There were lots of automotive fuel economy sites with authoritative information, but it seemed that there wasn't really any site on the world wide web that offered a definitive comparison for most major motorcycle models.
The folks at Total Motorcycle put together a fine site, but it relies on individual input of motorcycle owners... and as we all know, motorcyclists are a lot like fishermen:
Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish (Ride) all day
Make up lies
Therefore to get away from the tainting of the project by the boasting of individual riders that they "rode from Boston clear through to San Diego on barely half a tank of gas on my Gold Wing," I realized that I needed to dig much deeper to arrive at definite fuel mileage figures for motorcycles and motor scooters.
As I delved deeper and deeper and ever deeper into the project, the more I realized that there were definitely going to be problems with this. Coming up with reasonable, legitimate and comparable fuel economy figures for motorcycles and motor scooters is next to utterly impossible. Your own weight, total load, traffic, speed, driving style, operating temperature, and many more factors will dictate what mileage your motorcycle or motor scooter returns.
However, in the absence of any form of official MPG figures, I've undertaken an extensive research project which took the better part of two weeks full-time to arrive at the best feasible estimates of what many of the most popular motorcycles and motor scooters will return in the way of fuel economy. To arrive at these estimates, I checked countless online reviews, figures, quotes, and owner's reports on each model as well as road tests in various motorcycle and motor scooter magazines in North America, Europe and Asia. Whenever there was a highway and figure quoted, I've averaged it. In some cases, I've had to compare similar models to extrapolate the MPG rating. I've also included the ratings in kilometers per litre, and the exceedingly strange but bizarrely popular litres per 100 kilometers which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever...
I have used a broad range of statistical tools to arrive at the stated medians and ranges. Due to the way the data was collected different models with identical engine/drivetrain combinations may be reporting differing mileage. If you own one of these models and your experience differs, I heartily encourage you to inform me and I will incorporate your data into the overall set.
Keep in mind that these are not exact fuel economy figures and there is no guarantee that any of these motorcycles or motor scooters will return this exact MPG, but it should serve as a reasonable, albeit approximate comparison of how your preferred motorcycle or motor scooter model stacks up against the competition.
Check out Hal's latest Hubs:
Also don't miss Hal's many other Motorcycling Hubs!
- An $85,000 Diesel Cruiser. But It Gets Great MPG!
- Could MPG Alone Get You On A 250 Cruiser?
- Nothing Exceeds Like Excess: Boss Hoss
- Same Bike, Different Name: Suzi Boulevard Vs. Kawi Vulcan
- The Biggest & Meanest: 2007 Kawasaki 2000 Vulcan
- The Wacky World Of Mini-Choppers
- Which Cruiser Engine Layout: A V-Twin Or Straight 3?
- 2007 Factory Choppers Buyer's Guide
- 2009 Yamaha V-Max VMX17: The wrong bike at the wrong time
- All the Fuel-Saving Devices that do nothing but rip you off
- American Vs. Metric Cruisers
- CanAm Spyder: 3-Wheel Cruiser Or Roadgoing Snowmobile?
- Finally! 2009 Official EPA Harley & Yamaha MPG Figures
- Hal's Master Motorcycle & Scooter MPG Reference Hub
- Harley Davidson's Outrageous Pricing Ripoffs
- Honda Fury vs. Yamaha Raider: Perfection Meets Grotesquerie
- How You Can Ride Captain America's Panhead
- Hypermile your motorcycle up to 179 MPG: No snake oil, no scams!
- Is it time to retire superbikes?
- Motorcycle Ergonomics: Getting That Kink Out
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: BMW
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Ducati
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Big Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Sportsters & Below 1201 cc
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Boxers & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Off Road
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Street Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Transverse Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Fours & CBRs
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Ninjas
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vertical Twins, Fours & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vulcans
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Singles & Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Triumph
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Vertical Singles, Twins & Triples
- Motorcycle nostalgia items I would gladly pay $$$ for!
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 700 Top Selling Motorcycles
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 250 Top Selling Scooters
- Pugang 125: The motorcycle built by starving slave laborers
- Revolutionary Harley Trike Has 2 Front Wheels That Lean
- Riding Your Bike For Maximum MPG
- R.I.P. XLH: How Could Harley Kill Off The Traditional Sportster?
- Sportster Iron 883: The Bike That Won't Save Harley
- Styling: Why Harleys Look Right & BMW Sedans Look Wrong
- Suzuki 350 runs on water. Pigs fly. Film at 11.
- Suzuki-ENV Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle?
- Suzuki's 2008 1300 And 1800 Deformed Emetogenic Mutants
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Sportsbikes
- The 25 Wackiest Motorcycles Of All Time
- The Current State Of Solar Powered Motorcycles
- The new 123 MPG Champ: Yamaha Zuma!
- There's no zen in the art of motorcycle maintenance
- Top 10 Japanese Street-Legal Bikes Of All Time
- Top 10 Ugliest Motorcycles Of All Time
- Top 10 Tips For New Motorcycle Riders
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Bizarrobikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Current Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Golden Age Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Hypermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Naked Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Older Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Supermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Tourers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Vintage Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles In History - The Ultimate List!
- Top 50 Best MPG Motorcycles
- Tri Glide Trike Leads Harley Davidson's 2009 Lineup
- Why Motorcycle Manufacturers Missed Out On MPG Mania
- Why the VMX17, Hayabusa And Similar Bikes Should Be Off The Streets
More by this Author
A reliable, fun, street legal brand new 100cc Honda that gets 100 mpg and costs under $1,000? If Honda was smart enough to bring it from India to North America, they'd sell by the thousands!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.
One represents styling which is very close to "chopper perfection" and the other is designed by some 13 year old buzzed on Ritalin and meth.