How to Install a Hard Top on a 1991-94 Mercury Capri
The 1991-94 Mercury Capri could also have a hardtop installed for another $800. Without a hardtop, your fabric convertible top will wear out much faster in time since it is always exposed to the elements. So, consider in investing in one if you plan to keep the car. Even if not, having a hardtop will increase the overall value of the car by at least $600 or more, so it is win-win investment.
The hardtop weighs 75 lbs., and can be shipped for several hundreds of dollars by a trucking firm. UPS/FEDEX will not do it. The hardtop will make things quieter to some extent inside and because of its design, provides much better visibility when looking around.
The only tool you need is a hex rachet wrench or hex tool of 6 mm. Your hardtop must have three retaining bolts, one for the right and left side, one for the center. These bolts are several inches long and should be present in the hardtop bottom since they do not come out easily. If you are missing any, buy them from a Capri parts store. You cannot install the hardtop without them (since they hold the top to the body!). Also, you must have two header bolts, which should be behind the sun visor. If they are missing, these must be purchased also, as they hold the top to the windshield header.
Installing the hardtop is easy, less than 10 min. With the soft top down and inside the compartment, locate the hardtop electrical connector on the driver side and make sure it is exposed (this with connect the rear window defroster, if you want it).
- Remove the two header bolts from behind the sun visors.
- Remove the trim covers by lifting up the convertible top storage lid. The trim covers are on each side. Remove the single trim cover located on the storage lid to expose the hole.
- Assuming the retaining bolts are in the hardtop, remove them with a 6 mm hex wrench.
- Using two people, lift the top onto the car and position it using the holes as a guide. Position the top on the header so the holes line up as well.
- Tighten the 5 bolts for a secure fit
- Replace any covers to hide the bolt heads like the side trim cover.
- Connect the electrical if you want the rear defroster to operate.
If the rear defroster is connected, you need to also remove the rear window defroster switch from the dash, just left of the clock. Then, connect the rear window defroster relay under the spare tire cover.
More by this Author
The VW diesel (TDI) engine is one tough engine capable of going 500,000 miles when maintained. However, they do have issues. The 2006-11 VW TDI models seem to have a common issue and sufficient complaints to NHTSA about...
Most convertible cars have their top folded in a certain way depending on the type of material and whether the rear window is glass or plastic. The 91-94 Mercury Capri convertible top is one single piece, including the...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.
No comments yet.