How to Prevent Battery Drain in a 1991-94 Mercury Capri- Luggage Trunk Light
The luggage compartment courtesy lamp may not shut off when the luggage decklid is closed. This occurs because the lamp switch wire is grounded, trapped or damaged, between the left hand side tail lamp retaining nut and the body panel. This condition also causes the battery to eventually discharge. With the soft top in the UP position, fold down the rear sear and peer into the truck area with trunk lid shut. If the luggage light is ON, continue with the repair.
1. Raise the deck lid.
2. Remove the upper back trim panel.
3. Using a shop light, inspect the courtesy lamp switch wiring to see where it is trapped.
4. Loosen the tail lamp retaining nut and free the operate the courtesy lamps. If necessary,
5. Re-tighten the retaining nut.
6. Remove the deck lid latch retaining screws and remove the latch from the body panel. Close the deck lid.
7. Disconnect the courtesy lamp switch wire from the latch.
8. Reposition the courtesy lamp switch lamp wire.
9. Inspect the damaged section of the wire.
• If only the wiring insulation is damaged, apply electrical insulation tape to make the repair.
Proceed to Step #11.
• a. Open the deck lid.
If any strands of the wire are broken, proceed to Step #10.
10. Repair the damaged wire as follows:
a. Remove the damaged portion of the wire.
b. Splice the wire using solder and a “duraseal” butt splice connector.
c. Apply electrical tape.
d. Pull the protective sleeving over the repaired position.
e. Apply electrical tape over the joint.
11. Using the string attached in Step 8a, pull the switch wire into the upper back panel.
12. Disconnect the string from the switch wire.
13. Reconnect the switch wire to the latch.
14. Re-install the latch to the upper back panel.
15. Close the deck lid and make sure the luggage light inside is not ON.
- 1991-94 Mercury Capri
A blog containing repair info for 91-94 Mercury Capri owners.
More by this Author
Sooner or later every car owner is faced with the timing belt dilemma and when to replace it. It takes a mechanic a good 4 hours to replace a timing belt ($35) and a water pump ($75) and his labor @ $100 hr, so an easy...
The Corvair Powerglide automatic transmission remains one of most stable and resiliant transmissions Chevrolet made. The following troubleshooting techniques apply to all models from 1960-69. Amazingly, the Corvair air...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.