How to Remove\Install a 2006-9 VW Jetta Camshaft
All owners of high mileage Volkswagen (VW) 2005-9 Jetta models, including TDI, will come to face the fact their camshaft needs to be replaced at some point. It depends on the what kind of oil has been used in the car and for how long. The incorrect type will cause the cam lobes to wear faster and causes the lifters to become warped. The correct type of oil is synthetic of 5w40. A typical brand is Mobil 1, this is especially true for the TDI model (diesel). There are other brands, but the specification should be any of these on the can: 505.01, 506.01, 507.00, 502.00. When the cam lobes have worn, idling unsteady or rough is an early sign, excessive smoke also.
The VW camshaft kit cost $700. If you have a mechanic do it, the bill will be around $1200. The following procedure is used by most VW mechanics:
You will need Camshaft Gear Holder, a torque wrench, a puller, and black sealant AMV 174 004 01.
- Remove the 3 bolts from the camshaft sprocket.
- Pull off the camshaft sprocket from the hub.
- Loosen the one bolt holding on the hub. Use the Camshaft gear Holder. Unscrew the bolt 2 turns counterclockwise.
- Use the Puller and set it in place and screw in the bolt for hub.
- Carefully loosen the hub from taper of camshaft. Then, remove hub from camshaft cone.
- Remove cylinder head cover.
- With cam exposed, use a waterproof marker to mark 1 and 2, per diagram to prevent confusion.
- Remove rocker lever shafts by first loosening both outer bolts and then inner bolts.
- Refer to images showing 1-5. Remove bearing caps 5, 1 and 3. Then loosen bearing caps 2 and 4 alternating sequence.
- Remove camshaft.
- Install new camshaft. Make sure cylinder 1 is pointing upwards. The cam is positioned like the old marked cam. Make sure bearing shell retaining tab are seated in bearing caps and cylinder head. Apply a little oil on contact surfaces of bearing shells. First, install bearing caps 2 and 4 alternating between the two when tightening. Then, install bearing caps 5, 1, 3 in this sequence. Apply sealer to separating surfaces of bearing caps 1 and 5. Bearing cap 5 MUST seat flush with the outer edge of cylinder head. Fasten bearing caps 5,1, 3 and tighten.
- Install camshaft seal.
- Install rocker lever shafts and first fasten inner bolts and then outer bolts evenly in a diagonal sequence.
- Place hub onto camshaft. Tighten the 1 bolt.
- Push camshaft sprocket onto hu and tighten the 3 bolts. Make sure the toothbed segment faces up (see image). Align camshaft sprocket to central location in slots. Use a lock pick to prevent turning.
- Install tandem pump.
- Wait 30 minutes for the cam to seat , otherwise, valves will crash into pistons!
More by this Author
Sooner or later every car owner is faced with the timing belt dilemma and when to replace it. It takes a mechanic a good 4 hours to replace a timing belt ($35) and a water pump ($75) and his labor @ $100 hr, so an easy...
The Corvair Powerglide automatic transmission remains one of most stable and resiliant transmissions Chevrolet made. The following troubleshooting techniques apply to all models from 1960-69. Amazingly, the Corvair air...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.
No comments yet.