Inspecting a Jaguar E Type For Sale
The E type’s monocoque body construction is very strong, but prone to rust.
Rust is a killer with all E types unfortunately. They simply rot away from the inside out, despite the few changes on the body between 1961 and 1974.
Sadly condensation accumulates inside the box sections that make up the monocoque body.
Rust corrodes away the metal until a spot appears on the surface and then you are in for expenses.
A jaguar e type for sale of your liking should be inspected thoroughly.
- Start viewing the engine first. A jaguar e type for sale inspection should be with the engine cold. Have the seller start off the car and see the amount of smoke that is spewed from the exhaust pipes.
- A small amount of smoke the first couple of seconds is OK, worry about the engine condition if it’s still churning out smoke after a few minutes running. If so get a good mechanic to pinpoint the problem. It could be a number of easy fixes to resolve this smoker or you could be very close to an engine overhaul.
- The engine should run quietly and smoothly, with an even tick-over. The oil pressure reading on the gauge at no less than 20kg (40lbs) at 3,000 rpm, 30kg (60lbs) when cold.
Jaguar E Type (Jaguar XKE)
It is known as the Jaguar E Type in Europe and commonly referred to as the Jaguar XKE in North America. Get more detailed information on the Jaguar XKE:
- Inspect the joints between the wings and the hood. Open the bonnet and check the bonnet hinge mounting beam. Check the front sub-frame for corrosion or stress cracks; see if it has any dents in it, and with your hand feel inside of the air intake mouth. If you can feel some looseness and bits fall into your hand, it means that the nose is rusted, examine the bonnet again with a magnet to see how much filler has been used in repair.
- A jaguar e type for sale inspection should be given special attention on the main body shell and the running sills. Do the magnet test to see if they appear sound, sills are essential for strength and safety.
- The floor and the radius arm mountings at the back of that area. Then check the whole rear end of the body. It is often rotting above the rear wheels around the wheel arches. Anti-rust treatments nowadays help immensely and a can of WD 40 sprayed around all over on the inside helps greatly too.
- The Jaguar independent rear suspension is subject to wear and tear and needs careful inspection. Imagine all the power going through it. Check to see if there are any leaks from the differential, since the rear brakes are inner brakes they could have been affected by this leakage.
- If this jaguar e type for sale has wire wheels check for rust where they are tightened, it could mean that that wire spoke is loose.
Jaguar E Type For Sale Photo Guide Inspection
More by this Author
A list of superstitions and customary beliefs from around the world.
Jaguar E Type Original Colors - Jaguar XKE Original Colors. A true Jaguar E type is the one that is in fact as original as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Through the life of an E type, it can change hands...